Monday, November 21, 2005

Triathlon stuff

You can see this week's training programme in the sidebar now. I've added some of my own things to it too (the stuff in brackets). There are some gym sessions to keep up the toning and conditioning, and some extra walks so my poor wee doggy doesn't feel too neglected.

Did the first swim session this morning. The 500m actually consisted of: 50m warmup, 300m continuous swimming (still in my mix of freestyle and breast stroke), 50m back stroke, 50m breast stroke and 50m warmdown. Of course it's hard to tell the difference between the warmup and the rest of it - I only really have one speed!

I have a fabulous training partner - a good friend and work colleague who is doing the triathlon as well. At the moment we are doing our two swims a week together and trying to fit in a bike ride in the weekend. However, anyone from Wellington will be able to tell you there was no bike riding yesterday - northerlies gusting to 80kmh put us right off.

Yesterday Mark and I drove to Porirua and had a look at the triathlon course. The bike ride wasn't as bad as I'd imagined - there is a fairly long uphill, but it's relatively gentle.

The run looks like it might be a bit tougher though! Part of it is through bush on a walking track. It climbs about 75m, then, as described by the course notes 'drops steeply' down again. I'm not keen on running down hill. We'll go out next week and walk it to get the feel of it.

So, the serious training has begun. I'm really looking forward to seeing how my fitness improves through this time. I hope to be able to come on here soon and skite about being able to run for half an hour without stopping!

16 comments:

Suzy said...

OMG Sue, you should be amazingly fit after all that training! Good idea to check out the course.

Anonymous said...

How motivated are you! You are doing so well. I love the new pic, you are looking absolutely fantastic Sue.

michelle said...

LOveyour training programSue...you will be so ready for that triatholon at teh end of teh 12 weeks.
Thankyou very much for your beautiful words on my blog this morning. You are right exhaustion plays a big part in how we feel. I will pull myself out of the indulgent melancholy I have been feeling and follow your advice and your great example. I agree about making lists and prioritising and I started this morning. Thanks for being a frined and coming to rescue me with your caring words.

Julie's Journey said...

This is incredible - I am so impressed by your motivation and dedication. I couldnt swim that far to save myself (well maybe breaststroke) so well done. Looking forward to reading how you are doing.
:o)

philippa_moore said...

Wow Sue - I am so in awe of what you're doing! Your body is going to be strong as steel!

Makes me want to start swimming!

All the best with it, I look forward to seeing more progress pics!

Nancy Bou said...

You sound like you are doing so well in the trainig now.

Good luck for it

:o)

Anne said...

Love your site! Good luck with your training!

Leighanne said...

Good luck with the training!!
you are going to be super fit at the end:)

Kate said...

Woohoo with all that training! Well done :-) Maybe you should come up to Auckland to do the Auckland tri as it's all completely flat!

Margaret said...

You can skite all you want. Bloody hell woman you are making me feel lazy. But that's because I am LOL. I need to find me something to train for.

I want to skite too :D

Anonymous said...

You are amazing - I'm really impressed with your training program and the huge effort you are putting in to achieve your goal!

CaramelKitKat said...

Running down him scares me too - my knees hate me for it!

Briony said...

I would just be happy to run for 30 seconds without stopping. LOL.
Good luck with the training, i'm sure you'll be able to skite very soon.
Bri

Learning Leaders said...

Wow Sue, you really sound like you are well on track for the triathlon. I am so excited for you. Good luck with your walk on the weekend.lb.

Mary said...

It's great to be able to make a plan and then look forward to seeing the changes, that you know will happen! You have come so far!

Jules said...

Go you good thing! I am so impressed, I just read the little blurb at the top and have just realised that you have lost 40kg in 8 months and I have sadly only lost 5.6kg in 6 months. I am not knocking myself, as at least I am losing and not gaining, but your effort just blows me away. You would have to be the most committed person I have ever come across. I am just in awe. Good on you.