Saturday, June 18, 2005

Somebody's been cooking in MY kitchen

I was making a beef goulash for dinner last night - beef strips, lots of onions, carrots and mushrooms, vege stock and some red wine and garlic. Only 4 points per serve and lovely on a winter night. It needed to be thickened up a bit - the man likes to eat his on toast. So, I grabbed the cornflour from the pantry, and was about to stir a bit into some vege stock. Hmmm, something's not quite right here. There's something about this cornflour that doesn't look or smell right. Taste a bit - icing sugar! Lucky I checked. Might have brought an unusual taste to the goulash!
So, who put icing sugar in the cornflour jar? It can only have been my mother (from Kerikeri) or the sister from Adelaide, who were both cooking up a storm in my kitchen making desserts for my 40th party.
But that was in March! Which made me realise my patient men have been putting up with just ice cream for dessert since I started WW. I haven't made them a pavlova for nearly 4 months. What a cruel woman. I'll make them one tomorrow, and will not be tempted to have some myself. It can be a thank-you for how supportive they've been.
In case you were wondering what the girls made for dessert....
Mum's famous chocolate whiskey cake - to die for.
A meringue and champagne raspberry ice cream castle.
Chocolate mousse cake.
Enough to feed 50 people.
Drooling now, have to go.

4 comments:

Mary said...

I'm with Pauly, you are so cruel *drool* but I'm for the goulash, yum! I miss my mother's cooking. The boys are sure in for a great treat!

Margaret said...

Sounds delicious. Even with icing sugar LOL. Did you change your blog sytle? It just looks super crisp today. I am thinking of changing mine. May do it tomorrow.
I have a huge pot of chicken vegetable soup cooking now and the house smells divine..

Have a wonderful day and happy cooking. :)

Margaret said...

I thought so!. It looks excellent but shows how good my memory is, I can't remember what it used to look like. Kind of as I get skinnier I start to forget what I used to look like, I only remember that I hated the feelings that went with it. :)

Kt said...

well done on this weeks huge loss!!!
Hey If you lke pavlova, make it with splenda - zero points! & save a piece for yourself before smothering it in cream for the boys, top it with light aresol cream & some fruit - delicious desset, less than 2pts! :)