Thursday, February 02, 2006

Road kill

I'm feeling a bit like I've been run down by a truck at the moment. Sorry I have been absent from blogs this week - haven't even had time to comment, although I have had a few quick peeks.

So, time for one of my update lists...

Had a great day at the races last week. The betting was the usual washout - we never seem to do well at Trentham. But who cares - I looked great (so modest) and got lots of compliments. For the first time the famous Cup Day heat (29 in the shade this year) didn't really bother me; not only am I so much lighter, but I could wear something light and floaty instead of the dress equivalent of a boiler-suit and a balaclava to hide my body! Yes, photo to come. Oh, and I drank an ENORMOUS amount of champagne and got quite silly.

My favourite weekend of the year starts tomorrow - the Wellington Sevens! I just love this tournament. Our little stadium rocks with all the people partying - the costumes are a spectacle in their own right. I take all of Friday off so I can ease into the day - and get there in time for the first game. Unlike many of the people who go, I love the rugby as well as the party, and try to watch every game! One of my favourite things is that the crowd always adopts an underdog country and supports them in full voice! And we're not as mean to the Aussie team as we used to be...

We get an extra day off on Monday, too, for Waitangi Day, so I've got an extra long weekend. Having a few friends round for a BBQ in the afternoon.

Another reason for my run-down-by-a-truck feeling is that I got a new programme at the gym yesterday. He took me very literally when I said I needed more of a challenge. I always find the first few weeks tough - more about the co-ordination than anything.

Just over a week till the triathlon now. PZ (my friend who's doing it with me) and I did a walk-through last Sunday. We very quickly realised we need to stop training in the pool and get into the sea. The water at Titahi Bay was freezing! Although it did wash away the last vestiges of the champagne from the day before.

And a week after the triathlon we have the Great Lake Relay in Taupo. 160 kilometers around the lake, in 18 legs of walking and running. I'm not actually participating (although I think I'm a reserve by default), but I am the organiser (it's people from work and some clients). I'm really looking forward to it - being Camp Mother brings out the Nazi in me!

Yes, it's a pretty busy time at the moment - as this time of year tends to be. Just the way I like it. I've had a pretty average week with the tracking, what with all the champagne and the Chinese New Year banquet as well, but I should still be in for a small loss.

Enjoy your weekend! And for you Kiwi girls with kids - they finally go back to school next week!

8 comments:

Briony said...

I'm sure you'll still have a loss with all the exercise you're doing. I am in awe of you.
Hope you have a great (not too busy) week!
Bri

Cinders said...

Busy, Busy, Busy. The races sounded like fun. I think u owe us all a photo. Enjoy the rest of the week and good luck with the training.

michelle said...

Busy times coming up and your triathalon will be so exciting. Thanks for your posts you know. I am back exercising and partly because of you. Have a good weekend.

Kate said...

You sound busy busy but good :-) Was your life always this active when you weighed more?

Me said...

Sounds like you are having a really busy time but thoroughly enjoying it too - good for you.
Keep up the fantastic job and take care.
Me

Margaret said...

Training in the sea will be a very different experience. I was watching Baywatch the other day - hey I like a good perv too LOL - and picked up a great tip about how to swim in the sea.

1) Don't cup your hand as much on the outward stroke. Make it more flat - like a knife cutting in the water. That way it doesn't create too much resistance against the flowing water.

2) Don't try to sit too low in the water. Try to keep above it (how the heck can anyone do this??)

and lastly

3) Make sure your really little red cossies are firmly attached to your body ;D

Have a great time at the Sevens

Jules said...

I envy you and your weekend ahead at the Sevens.

I love the new look of your blog. All the colours and little icons etc look great.

Thanks for continuing to inspire Sue. I long for the day that I will feel comfy at the races. This year - Cup Day.

Suzy said...

Sounds like a great day at the Races!
You do sound busy, but you also sound motivated and happy.