Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Exercise simplification

There is no doubt, when my exercise is going well and I am happy about it, I am much more in control of my eating.

However, with the short winter days, frequent nasty weather and my somewhat unpredictable life at the moment, I am finding it difficult to stick to the formal training schedule I had written for the half-marathon walk. Then I get pissed off with myself and my eating goes off track...

So, no more schedules, no more specific types of training on specific days. My new plan is this:

Every day, I will walk a minimum of 15,000 steps.

That's it, it doesn't get any simpler. I will not average 15,000 a day, thereby giving myself license to have lazy days followed by days of frenzied catching up. I will do a minimum of 15,000.

And I can get to the number whatever way I like, giving me the flexibility I need just now. So if I go to the gym in the morning, I won't need to go for such a long walk at night (or if I spend the whole day rushing around like an idiot I might be able to collapse in a heap when I get home). All I really need to do is make sure I chuck in a couple of good long walks (like 15km) before the half-marathon and it will all be sweet!

Of course, the lazy day might come when I find myself needing to fit in 13,000 between dinner and bedtime...

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

Good plan - then if you need to add in more steps, you can always go shopping!

Anne said...

Impressive target Sue! Can relate to the eating not being so good if the exercise isn't happening!

Kt said...

lol, i'm with Kathryn, shopping is a great way to rake up steps!

Rachel said...

Great idea about the exercise plan, keep it simply!

Margaret said...

What a great timely post for me. I have been saying that I want to average my steps at 15,000 but I can see now that that will allow me to slacken off if I have a couple of high days. OK - minimum of 15,000 it will have to be. So now I have to get a move on LOL

Mary said...

Yep, it's been getting harder for me too this winter. Last winter I was in the prime of my weight loss but now it's not so much a motivator. I've just been trying to tell myself to MOVE somehow everyday atm.