Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Out of condition

I'm really feeling the effects of this long term injury (and, to be honest, the Christmas over-indulgence) on my fitness.

I was smugly thinking the aquajogging and walking were taking care of things. WRONG! As I start introducing more strenuous (although fairly light by my previous standards) cardio into my workouts, I realise how much fitness I have lost.

I did 15 minutes on the cross trainer this morning, on Level 6 at 60rpm. My heart rate hit 156 and it was just plain hard work. Six months ago I was doing 30 minutes on Level 8 at 80rpm.

I'm actually not worried about this, for two reasons. Firstly, having to build up my fitness again means I won't be pushing my knee too hard. Also, I'm enjoying the challenge of the work involved and it helps me stay in focus on my eating too.

9 January summary
Breakfast: rolled oats with raspberries and orange juice (bunged together and left to soak overnight)
Lunch: chicken (yes, again!) with coleslaw and bean sprouts
Dinner: you guessed it, chicken, mushrooms and pasta
Snacks: 2 bananas, 2 trim flt whites, some green beans, a peach, a martini
Exercise: 15 minutes on the cross trainer, 20 minute core body workout

6 comments:

Mary said...

Yes! I was really surprised by how quickly I could lose my fitness too. I stopped doing my 1 hour power walks for a couple of months and now I've taken it up again, I've really noticed it being harder. But we're back on track now!

Briony said...

I have zero fitness, i'm allergic to exercise but i'm trying to start slowly. Haven't started yet, but i'm thinking about it a lot!! haha
I think you might turn into a chicken soon with all that you're eating! I love chicken too though.
Hope you're having a great week.
Bri

Anne said...

Are chickens on special down there?

Melli said...

Ahhhhh... but it comes back SO much quicker the 2nd time around! You'll be there in no time!

Gabby said...

Hi Sue, you will be back to your high level in no time. I have found my fitness levels drops really quickly (even after a couple of weeks off). However it comes back just as fast with a bit of consistant effort - the body seems to remember where it was at! just needs a little reminder of how great it can perform.

Gabby

Christine (Australia) said...

Hi Sue, Love the variety in your excercise plan! Good luck with getting back on top of it all..