Monday, October 31, 2005

Don't just dish it out...

Sometimes I catch myself leaving these smug little comments on other people's blogs, dishing out advice on all sorts of things.

What makes me such an expert - absolutely nothing, especially if I'm not even following my own advice!

So, for this last week I've been trying to put some of it into practice - starting with 'Challenge yourself'.

I'm pretty good at the exercise thing - plenty of variety, cardio, fat-burning and strength work. But I wasn't really pushing myself.

So I have now LEAPT out of my comfort zone. No more of this wimpy fast-walking on the treadmill. No more kidding myself that introducing the occasional 1 minute jog makes any difference.

I now run (well, jog fast) for 20 minutes on the treadmill. This produces an enormous amount of sweat. And my face goes bright red, which is an unfortunate contrast with my now-blonde hair. But, boy does it feel good.

In three weeks I'm going to start my 12-week build-up to the triathlon. I had two training programmes to chose from - 'Zero to Heroine in 12 weeks' or 'The Next Level'. Well, I'm not going to label myself a zero, so I'm going for the next level.

Now I just need to get up the courage to go back in the pool.

For those of you who might be interested, my training programmes come from the triathlon site www.tri.co.nz. There are some great programmes and exercise tips, even if you're not actually heading towards an event.

11 comments:

philippa_moore said...

Good for you, Sue! Getting out of the comfort zone is not only the way to get great results, but also the only way we grow as human beings (that's a quote from somewhere, can't remember where atm!)

I will check out the Triathlon site - it sounds good.

Keep up the excellent work, and have a great week :)

Suzy said...

How weird, I was just reading your blog at exactly the same time that you left a comment on mine!
Just had a look at the Triathlon site. That is so fantastic that you are training for it. Looks extremely hard to me. You are very brave and I admire your courage for leaping out of your comfort zone. Good luck with your training.

Mary said...

Aww, don't be too hard on yourself. I sometimes think the same of my own comments. None of us are experts but we can sure share what we are learning and experiencing :-)

Good on you for leaping out of your comfort zone too! I am not a runner but I can sure appreciate you starting to run and now doing it for 20 minutes. This is awesome!! Makes me think that I should start challenging myself on the bike too.

Thanks for the link to the triathlon site! I'll check it out today. Well done for deciding to do the triathlon also, that is inspiring!!

Time to change your profile pic :-)

Julie's Journey said...

I find everyones comments so supportive that I feel that I would be letting myself and others down if I dont at least try. Don't stop! Im going to visit your triathalon site and maybe I can find something I can use over the next couple of months to challenge myself. Thanks for the hints.

Anonymous said...

I really do admire the work you are doing! Good on you for aiming up to the next level. I can't even begin to imagine running for 20 minutes!! Well done

Briony said...

Well done on challenging yourself. As for running for 20 minutes, I haven't done that for about 20 years so i'm thinking that I should push myself a bit now, thanks for the motivation!
Have a great week!
Bri

Nancy Bou said...

Zero doesn't sound very positive does it so definately go the the next level one!
I too think I should be pushing myself to run a bit as I can walk for hours no sweat!

xx

Kt said...

You are a heroine already in my opinion Sue - look how far you've come! 6 months ago can u imagine running for 20 mins??

Margaret said...

I love your comments. They are no bullshit, say what you think, say what you feel. And it is the honest 3rd person comments that have helped me shift this tail harder and faster than I could have done by myself.

Congrats on your loss this week and I will be having a closer look at the programs. I think you will see a huge change in the next 12 weeks of your challenge. 20 minutes running already is fantastic.

Would love to see a blonde photo too ;)

Kate said...

Well done on working so hard towards the tri - I'm going to have to aim to do it the next time around afterall. I'm excited for you though, I'm sure it will be something that will push you and help keep you motivated!

Kellee said...

I do that too, don't worry. Maybe it's the maternal thing coming out...

Good on you for turning the spotlight on yourself. I might just have to do the same!