Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Just some stuff

Thanks for all the compliments you've been giving me on the look of my blog - it's certainly my favourite so far.

Racing didn't come about for Mark on Sunday, although he watched plenty of action out at the track (I stuck that out for about 10 minutes - absolutely not interested if my man's not involved!).
Instead I had brunch with our dear friends who came over from Hawkes Bay for the day, followed by a visit to Mark at the racetrack, then a bottle of wine at a lovely hotel in the hills, overlooking the lake.

In response to a couple of questions I've had about how I look after myself with all this training...
Lots and lots of stretching! Obsessively. But only ever of warm muscles. So far I've managed to survive a small Achilles twinge, but I definitely don't want to get an injury at this stage. I do have the occasional massage, but that's more treat than therapy. I have quite a bit of trouble with the toenails on my little toes, so I'd better get in to the podiatrist in the next week and get those tidied up.

I went to the Zebrano sale on Monday. Zebrano is a big girls' shop with fabulous clothes. I have bought almost all my clothes there for the last 12 years and eagerly anticipate the two sales each year. This will be my last sale there - I bought two things off the size 16 rack, which is their smallest size. Soon I'll be too small to be allowed in!

I don't want to became addicted to events, but I am concerned that I'll do the triathlon and then just stop and get lazy.
So now I've signed up for the Special K duathlon as well. It's on Easter Sunday, 8 weeks after the triathlon, which will give me 2 recovery weeks, then back into training. This one is 1.5km run/10km ride/3.5km run - all on the flat, so an easier event.
The only possible sticking point is that we haven't yet decided which week we're taking the 1st XV on their pre-season tour - that will be in the school holidays, so might coincide with Easter. Have to see how that goes.

Tried to became a hood ornament for a bus while doing my 10km time trial the other day - misread his signal at a roundabout. Luckily I was on the mountain bike, so it was fairly easy to chuck the bike (and myself) out of the way, not a manoeuvre I would have been capable of a couple of months back. Nearly went from fat to flat! I'll post all my trial times at the end of the week.

The search is on for a frock to wear to the Wellington Cup next weekend. We always go with Mark's work and some of their clients. I'm not doing the hat thing though - I just can't get over that it's bad manners to wear a hat when you are indoors and eating, even though I know it's acceptable at the races and in church!

Anybody seen a couple of hints in your comments that I'm coming to Sydney (good spotting Jodie). We're planning a sisters' meeting in Noosa in May, so I'm hoping to do a few days in Sydney on the way back. I'll keep you posted on that. Perhaps I'll be at goal...

Have a great day everyone!

10 comments:

Suzy said...

Help, be careful of those buses!

Yay for giving the big girls' shop the flick after this sale.

You are amazing, signing up for more challenges already. Go Girl!!!

(Sorry about the sneezing! Only 3 of those flowers spring up every year and they are so beautiful.)

Leo said...

Hey Sue,

I've been reading your blog for a little while and realise that we've probably met somewhere along the way, cos I race too! I was at Taupo on sunday, I'm not to hard to pick as I think I was the only girl riding (on the yellow RS125).
Anyways your blog is really great, and one day I'll pull finger and start my own....

Leo

Kathryn said...

Being too small for the big girl shops is such a boost. I went into a shop here called Big City Chic - their sizing is rather on the generous side and I realised that there is no point shopping there any more.

I'm on the mailing lists for about 3-4 plus sized shops and am thinking of writing to tell them I'm too small now so stop sending me stuff.

The new blog is indeed great - very classy.

Events are great. I think it's easier to train when you have the "not making an idiot of myself in public" motivation :)

michelle said...

LOev that you will soon be too small for that shop. I hav ehad the same experience here. And thanks for the inspiration...I am now back in training mode myself and think I will enter a marathon in March and a longer one in April.

Briony said...

Well done on getting too small for the big girls shop - that must feel good! I used to shop in the big 'section' but now i'm in the 'normal' section (whatever normal is!!) and it does make you feel better. Have a great day.
Bri

Mary said...

LOL yep, Jodie's expanding now for good reasons and you'll be Slimmer Sue! We'll have to organise a bloggers meet up closer to the date :-)

I think it's cool that you are entering into events and I don't think it will be obsessive to do one every year (or two...). We will have to keep ourselves motivated and as we have learnt, having goals keeps you going and hopefully keeps at goal.

Have a great end to the week!

Chubbymum said...

Sue... would love to see your tracker one day. You are and inspiration with how much you have lost and would love to know what you eat etc.... :-)

Love CM

Margaret said...

I love when you answer questions like this. It captures everything so nicely. Well done for growing out of the big girl shops. They are fantastic and have done us all a great service but now it is time to break the ties.

I hope you were wearing good undies when you did the fancy footwork. You know what your Nanna always said...

Yaaaay for May. Like you preparing for events, I prepare for get togethers. Meeting up with new people is enough of a motivation for me not to slip up (too much). Unfortunately during the get together I normally consume far too much of everything LOL.

Hope you have a great week :D

CaramelKitKat said...

Sue,

A merkin (I got the spelling wrong) is a pubic wig.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_232.html

Kindest Regards,

CKK

Me said...

WOOHOO for being too small for the big shop !!!
Give me a shout when you are coming to Noosa and maybe we can get together somewhere along the line - depending on your itinerary.
Cheers and good luck.
Me