Monday, January 09, 2006

Life in the slow lane

Well, I'm still the slowest person in the swimming lanes in the morning, but not by much. I've definitely got faster since that rude cow tried to kick me out. Unfortunately the other people who swim slower than me don't seem to have returned from their holidays yet.

I have got over my need to cut through the water like a silver arrow (for those of you with kids, that reference is from a Margaret Mahy book called 'The Great White Man Eating Shark: A Cautionary Tale'. It's about a strangely-shaped boy called Norvin and a great story to read to your kids). I have decided I will be quite happy to breast stroke the 300m of the triathlon - particularly because it will be in the sea.

My main reason for this is when I do manage to freestyle 300m, I'm completely stuffed at the end - not a good way to be with the ride and run still to come.

Just four weeks to go till the triathlon, so I figure it's about time to front up with a goal time. Here goes:

My aim (apart from just finishing) is to do the 300m swim, the 10km ride and the 3km run/walk in under 1 hour and 15 minutes, including transition times.

There, I've said it now!

14 comments:

Suzy said...

Wow, that sounds awfully fast to me! You are amazing! You will show that "rude cow" a thing or two!

Margaret said...

Great goal. With your training and your determination you will do it. And if you don't? So what. You'll finish it anyway and you will have completed an amazing feat.

I think Jake is an extraordinary young man. What a great son

Hope you have a fantastic day today :D

michelle said...

OMG that does sound so fast. But knowing your grit and determination you will get there.

Kate said...

Great plan re breaststroke - I agree, and find that the easiest swimming style too :-)

Briony said...

Wow, I don't think I could complete ONE part of it in that time. You are a legend.
Bri

Chubbymum said...

You certainly are a legend hun. It scares me just reading what you have to do for the triathalon realllllllly does.

Love CM

Lucinda said...

Thank you so much for your comment - it really put things in perspective!

As long as you don't get hit on the head with a giant beach ball whilst swimming, you'll be fine ;)

Me said...

I say stick with what you can do well and blow what anyone else is doing. You are doing such a great job with all your training - a real inspiration to us all !
Have a great day !
Me

Mary said...

Whoah, that's a good goal! Tight too but acheivable with your motivation and determination. I wish I was a swimmer because then it'd sure help with my heat problem. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

You sound so determined, I just know that you will do well - all the best:)

Cinders said...

hi there. i've been 'stalking' your blog for about 5 months now and just want to say well done on your huge loss and your amazing fitness regime.
Go back 40 kilos and i bet you wouldn't even get in the pool so just think how well you're doing now with or without your head underwater. Keep it up.

Learning Leaders said...

Firstly Sue - congrats on being back in the fluorescent era - 80's what an achievement. Secondly well done an your swimming achievements so far - I am getting excited for you with the triathlon approaching. Have a great week.lb.

philippa_moore said...

Hi Sue - I'm back! First of all, I love the new look of your blog. Secondly, congratulations on getting into the 80's!!!! That is so great, I'll bet everyone was blown away at your mum and dad's anniversary and at Christmas. Hope it all went well for you, take care and keep going strong for the triathlon xxx

Kelly said...

Hey Sue - you are going grat with your swimming. Well done !! Must say that when I signed up for my first tri I couldn't swim at all! I signed up for adult classes and it was the best $70 I have ever spent. If you aren't feeling comfortable, maybe invest in some stroke and breathing technique classes. They really are invaluable. Can't wait to see how you do - I know you're going to be fantastic and it really is the best feeling at the finish line! Luv Kel