Wednesday, February 15, 2006

So, what's next?

Well, I've had a few days of basking in the glory of what I've done - thank you all for your kind comments and emails. I still can't quite believe how much I enjoyed the triathlon.

So, what's next for me?

I need to shift my focus back to controlling my eating. This has been meandering around in the last few weeks. As I've said before, I think I was saved from gaining weight by the heavy training load I was carrying. So back to careful planning and tracking.

This weekend we have a team of 25 people (workmates and clients) taking part in the Great Lake Relay in Taupo - 18 legs of walking and running around the lake - it's about 160km.

I'm Camp Mother, so I'm not doing a leg, although I am a reserve. Instead I'll look after the base camp and all the meals - because, after all, surrounding myself with food is such as sensible thing for me to do!

One thing I've learned from the triathlon is that I'm more motivated about exercise if I have something to train for. So my next goal is a duathlon on Easter Sunday. I'm still not absolutely sure I'll be in town for this, as I may be on tour with the rugby boys, but I'm training for it anyway. And as I'm on the rugby committee I should have some influence on when we go away!

This duathlon is a 3.5km run/10km bike/1.5km run. It's based around our lovely harbour, so we have that small miracle in Wellington - a flat course! This will mean a quite different training regime from the last one - and no swimming, hooray!

Starting next week the training will go something like this:
1 x 15km ride per week
1 x 7km run/walk per week (building towards being able to run the whole thing)
1 x 3km run per week (working on improving my time each week)
1 x 'brick' training session - run/ride/run - starting with short distances and building each week
That will take care of my cardio and I'll do 3 or 4 days a week at the gym and see if I can throw in some kickboxing occasionally as well.
My 15km ride will include the actual duathlon course - I can ride to it from home.

There we are then. I have two main goals - do the duathlon, and be a 70s' girl when I do it. Just over eight weeks to go.

19 comments:

Kathryn said...

Woohoo - back into it already! You are a machine. Sounds like fun though (can't believe I said that).

Kate said...

You know what? In the time that I've known you, I've come to believe you could achieve anything you set your mind to - go for it!

Suzy said...

Sounds like two more wonderful goals for you to work towards, and with your attitude you are sure to achieve them.

michelle said...

Go sue... BTW I started training this week for my 14.7km walk/run. Inspired by you of course.

Briony said...

I'm sure you will be a 70's girl by then, you are a legend. I can't believe your training schedule, it's awesome. Thanks for the personalised Abba number - very clever!!
Bri

Lucinda said...

And she's off like a rocket! I also more motivated when I am training for something I think that is why I keep doing fun runs because I can't just rock up and expect to finish...well i'll finish, but I like to improve my time.

You'll be in the 70s in no time :)

Martha Craig said...

I supported my mother and sister at the tri on Sunday, so I guess I probably saw you on stage? Well done. I'm training for the duathlon myself, and loving it. Well, hating it, but loving that I'm doing it.

Anne said...

Great going Sue - with another couple of big challenges ahead! I can imagine people that know you well are blown away by how you have changed- Amazing!!

Me said...

I love how you set yourself goals and then plan how you are going to achieve them - more people should take a leaf out of your book !
Way to go !!!!
Me

Ang said...

Ready for the next challenge ay! You go you good thing.

My boss is trying to convince me to enter that same biathlon. haha.... Shes dreaming.

Ang said...

duathlon... duh can't even spell the word. lol

Karen said...

OMG you make my training for the Duathlon sound real slack now! LOL Though I guess I am just doing to to prove to myself that I can do it and am not worried about how long it will take me just as long as I finish and prefably not last...
You are one amazing woman Sue - would love to meet up with you one day!

The Candid Bandit said...

Wow. Ive just read through a few posts. You are a champion!

Pwwwoar!

Margaret said...

Way to go Sue. Two great goals. Let's meet the 70's girl. Can I wear beads and long boots?? :D

Nancy Bou said...

You truly are one amazing person! Already in training for your next big event and shooting down to the 70s!
The 70s are sooo groovy baby!

xx

Felicity said...

you'll manage the duathlon with ya hands tied behind ya back girl

Julie's Journey said...

Sue I am still in catch up mode but congratulations. What an achievement! Congrats on new prefect in family too. Was it the Hurricanes? Hope they have a win this week (oops let me check that they arent playing the Tahs) - no we are in Cape Town. Good luck.
Julie

Mary said...

Talk about motivated. I need to get my ass into gear too and actually go do or join something myself! Thanks for the inspiration.

Kt said...

you are a machine woman & soon to be a 70s girl too! welldone, you are so motivated, its no wonder you have lost 46 (OMG _ 46!!!) kgs!