Monday, March 27, 2006

The trouble with being pre-menstrual

is that KNOWING you're pre-menstrual doesn't actually help you cope with the side-effects of BEING pre-menstrual.

I know I only wanted that English muffin with butter (and that ice-cream and those chips) because I'm pre-menstrual, but that didn't help stop me from eating them!

I also know that's why I didn't have the patience today to let a colleague ramble on when she was going in completely the wrong direction, but corrected her straight away (but did she really have to call me officious?).

However, here are my new thoughts on pre-menstrual comfort eating (to be applied at will to other situations). I get the feeling I've just clicked to something you guys all worked out ages ago, so excuse me for stating the bleeding obvious.

Giving in to these urges isn't always wrong. It would be wrong if we gave in to every single urge, but relenting occasionally is not only fine, it actually helps stop us from giving in more often - and from going on a power-binge!

See, I told you that I've just clicked to the obvious!

10 comments:

Mary said...

LOL, I'm not saying anything other than we all go through this and realise that someone else has been saying the same thing all along. Whatever it is, it just has to click within us to take effect. No one can realy "tell us" hey. We have to learn for ourselves :-) Thanks for making me giggle because I know that feeling. Some people call it the lightbulb moment too.

Kathryn said...

I've had those moments and, as Mary says, we all have the moment when these things click otherwise they are just empty words.

And I always think the best thing about being premenstrual -- it means you aren't pregnant... lol.

michelle said...

So relate to the pre-menstrual urges, Problem is when you are menopausal and those days come all too often. Anad you officious..I don't think so...

Anne said...

You summed it up perfectly! I'm sure we've all had those moments when something clicks:)

Els said...

I can completely relate - last week was my week of thinking 'I only want this piece of custard slice because I'm cranky and pre-menstrual' but it doesn't make it any easier to say no to it! And I ate it. I find that I just have to give in to those really strong urges in that week and deal with it. It hasn't thrown my weight loss off too badly so far ... knock on wood.

Ails said...

You've nailed it in one, Sue! I can be almost frightful if I don't get some chocolate into me during these times - I'd rather blow a few WW points than my sanity at these times! Hope you are having a great week :)

Els said...

Hey again Sue. I hope you don't mind but I just quoted some of your post on my blog - just something you said I felt exactly and couldn't put it any better myself!

Julie's Journey said...

Arent those lightbulb moments when something clicks wonderful. Kind of makes it all worthwhile. Ive been murderous lately and have found that evening primrose oil helps calm me down.
Have a good week
:o)

Kt said...

WOW 50kg, congrats

Lee-Anne said...

Pre-menstrual - lemme tell you, try being in an office with four other women who all cycle AT THE SAME TIME!!!! Funny tho, we don't bitch at each other, any snappy comments we choose to ignore. If I had a heart I'd feel sorry for the guys, but I don't. Peaceful time of the month and its payback for the other three weeks.

50 kgs!!!! What can you say. Awesome.