Friday, April 21, 2006

Don't forget the old stuff worked

I can hear this concerted yell around blogland!

"What are you, nuts?"

I know, you've spent all this time getting rid of your old ways of thinking, eating and (not) moving. And now I'm telling you not to forget the old stuff?

But I'm actually talking about the old stuff from when we started losing weight, not from before that.

Phil got me thinking about this with her post about doing yoga again.

Do you remember those great feelings you got when you first started to see results from changing your lifestyle?

When you got to the end of the week and felt like a champion because you'd stuck to your eating plan EVERY SINGLE DAY? (Instead of feeling relieved because you cheated on your points all week and still managed to lose 200 grams.)

The first time you walked up the big hill in your neighbourhood without stopping, or made it all the way through that exercise DVD without hitting the pause button and putting your head between your knees so you won't faint?

The first time you went out for dinner, ate only two courses and didn't feel cheated?

Remember how good all that felt?

So, in that spirit, last night I went home and did the WW Exercise for Success DVD.

FLASHBACK TO A YEAR AGO (sorry I can't do the wobbly-screen thing they used for flashbacks and dream sequences on The Brady Bunch)
The first time I did this workout, I could barely breathe after the warm-up, although I did still have enough puff to yell at the TV "That was only the warm-up?". I used to just do the warm-up, one of the the four workouts, then the cool-down.

BACK TO YESTERDAY
I did the whole thing - warm-up, four workouts and cool-down. And it wasn't easy. I did the high-impact version of everything, used the coffee table (it's very sturdy) for my step-ups instead of just one step on the stairs, and used 1.5kg hand-weights instead of 400g cans of food. This is still a great work-out. And a great feeling seeing how much more I could do than a year ago. And today I can really feel it - and, yes Phil, tricep dips do work!

So, there was a point to all this rambling...

This is not just about getting back to basics. Find something you did when you first started on your journey, something that was a major achievement for you then, that you don't do anymore. And go and do it! Recapture the euphoria you felt the first time you overcame that obstacle.

And reflect on what an amazing person you are.

9 comments:

Kate said...

Another very cool post. I'm going to have to come back and re-read all your entries when I'm back into the losing weight thing because you are very motivational!! :-)

Suzy said...

Thank you Sue!

That has made me look back at last winter when I took up the 10,000 steps a day challenge. I am sure that helped me maintain during the colder months. I must start that again. I loved the feeling of walking in the crisp, cold air instead of blobbing on the couch.

Anne said...

So enjoyed reading that post Sue!! Thanks:)

You have jolted my memory to the couple of huge hills around our home. My earlier attempts at walking them I had to stop several times, just couldn't breath, my lungs were bursting. It got a lot easier, I felt a lot happier, I could breath! Must go and try them again!!!

I agree with Kate in that your psots are motivational.

Me said...

Great post Sue - thanks for the reminder for us to look at how far we have come and realise that, yes, we are mazing people - all of us !
Have a great weekend and take care.
Me

Margaret said...

I have just given myself a big whack on the back of the head. Here I am using no shoes as an excuse not to move my buttocks when all along I have had that DVD and if I do it carefully I can do it with no shoes on at home.

I remember the thrill of being able to run the distance of one tree in Hyde Park. It was a real achievement for me. I haven't measured that distance in a while. I think it is time to set a new starting point. Thanks :D

Hope you have a great weekend.

*and just so you know, I imagined fuzzy little Brady Bunch flashback scene when reading your post LOL*

philippa_moore said...

Fantastic post Sue! I have the WW Exercise Success DVD too and haven't done it for about six months. I'm inspired to get it out again and do it all like you have! I used to get puffed during the warm up too!!

Hope you have a great weekend :)

mimbles said...

That's such a brilliant way of looking at things Sue, I'm going to have to remember that one a bit further down the track - still in the early triumphs stage here :)

Leyzafool said...

You're an amazing person Sue!
Loved reading this post,flashback scenes and all!
You are right of course, back to basics is always good for a boost. So I am going to tackle the "Noble Lane" today. It is a hill, absolute killer. I haven't walked up it for months, it damn near makes you wanna give up and just roll back down it like a bowling ball! Bring it on!!
Have a tops week ;-)

Mary said...

Awesome post Sue and yep, I remember and still get those feelings too! It's amazing how far we've all come :-)