Sunday, May 14, 2006

NAG

I detest acronyms. They are stupid and dehumanising and often used to make other people feel thick.

I have been known to threaten to kick people out of meetings if they don't stop using acronyms. In one of my more endearing moments I once screamed at a colleague "They're not a f**king FTE, they're a PERSON". (FTE = full time equivalent)

This week, however, I find the acronym NAG fits my mood and my situation rather well.

For instance, it can mean Not A Gain, which works this week, because I neither lost nor gained.

But then, it could also mean Not Approaching Goal, which pretty much sums up my progress of late.

When in a more positive mood, I can have it mean Nearly At Goal. While I still have 6 or 8kg to go, percentage-wise that statement could be true.

As acronyms go, it is simple, versatile and rather endearing.

10 comments:

Miss A said...

I just came across your blog. If you have to use NAG as an acronym see it as "Nearly At Goal"! Awesome that you are almost to your goal! Good for you! It motivates me as I have just started a journey towards being a healthier person by losing weight and eating better. Thank you

Cinders said...

Am i allowed to say LOL at FTE?? Have a great week.

Ang said...

NAG 1 NAG 2 NAG 3.... I like NAG 3 best of all. You are so close.

Mary said...

LOL acronyms drive me bonkers as well. You are Nearly At Goal, whoot!

Kt said...

argh, I hate FTE too, especially when they say 50% FTE etc!
Nearly at Goal, i think that sums you up pretty well :)

Kate said...

Haha, we were talking about this very thing this morning in the car, looking at number plates - I know so many more acronyms than the boys because of being in the medical field. E.g. the car in front of us had the number plate AWS3456 or something, and the boys were saying how could you remember that? I said easy "Alcohol Withdrawal Scale", hehe, which is what it instantly says to me. I kinda like them I guess, but not for describing people!!

Margaret said...

Working for who I work for, we use acronyms all the time. FTE is a particular favourite. And I get confused because we reuse acronyms and they can mean so many different things.

I like yours. Congrats for not gaining and for still being so nearly at goal.

Have a great week this week, don't get too disheartened that the scales are standing firm. They will move down again. :)

Anne said...

Two postive NAGS there. Nearly at goal - Well done Sue - also well done on not a gain!!

michelle said...

Definitely NAG 3 applies to you.. The scales will move soon. I am having the same problem. Apparently the last kgs are the hardest... HAve a good week.

Ails said...

Too funny Sue! How do you feel about abbreviated sms texting?! I find acronyms annoying too, mainly because I spend a great deal of time trying to work out what they actually mean! Hope you have having a great week, Ails xxxx