Thursday, May 11, 2006

Strange child

Long-time readers will know that Jake the Jock (my 17 year old) plays underwater hockey. He used to play waterpolo, too, but gave it up this year to concentrate on his pre-season fitness for rugby.

Playing watersports is complicated for Jake by the fact that in the last couple of years he has developed a sensitivity to pool water. Within a few hours of being in the water he has a full-blown hayfever-type reaction - sneezing, blocked nose, streaming eyes. Poor baby. The only thing that seems to stop it is using prednesone (sp?) and we're not going THERE on an ongoing basis - it's pretty evil stuff.

So this season we started experimenting with ways to prevent it. Nasal sprays help a bit but not enough to justify the vile taste in your mouth.

The best solution - sorry, this is gross - is for him to stuff earplugs up his nose. I kid you not. Stopping the water getting into his nasal cavity does the trick. It can't be a very glamourous look, but that's compensated by the fact that he can snort them out of his nose, at his friends, after a game!

He ran out of earplugs last week. And forgot to ask me to get more - being in the printing industry I have a good supply of them. So the first I knew of it was when I got home last night and he was lying on the couch instead of working at his after-school job. He feels gross and can't work. And spent all evening blowing his nose and sneezing mightily.

So, this morning's text conversation (written in real-speak to make it legible) went like this:

Him - Can I stay in bed, like, all day?
Me - Why?
Him - 'Cause I feel like shit and my eyes hurt even in my room where it's really dark
Me - You realise that staying home won't actually help you get better?
Him - Yeah, but I feel gross
Me - If you don't go to rugby training today you'll probably be on the bench on Saturday
Him - I've got study first period, I'll go to school after that

Just got to push the right buttons.

10 comments:

Anne said...

Poor Jake! Bet he won't forget the ear plugs again. Laughed about him snorting them out at the end of the game. Also you sure did know how to push the right buttons!!

Kathryn said...

Yep - no school, no rugby training. I used to always pull the no school, no Nintendo card. That worked a treat.

Kellee said...

Sorry he feels so bad. I get allergies too, so I know what that feels like. I had to laugh at your bargaining technique though. See, I not only learn weight los tips from blogs, but parenting tips too! I will have to remember that one for when my little boy wants to sleep in.

Ang said...

oooh your poor baby. lol nothing like the thought of being a bench warmer to get someone to school.

Mary said...

Allergies suck but great solution. Better get a bigger supply of ear plugs LOL.

Kt said...

poor buggar, doesn't sound like fun!
u sure know how he works tho!

mimbles said...

Oh, poor Jake but...LMAO! Mothers are evil aren't we?! It's all about knowing where to apply the lever :)

Jules said...

You cunning woman you!!

M@rla said...

The poor little thing! And you shamelessly manipulated him! Hee.

There is some sort of nose clip he might try - I did a quick search and here's the first link I found (I'm sure there are other versions available). Maybe it would be better than ear plugs!
http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/latexnoseclip.html

Briony said...

I firmly believe that blackmail and manipulation are two of the keys to parenting! LOL. Wonder what the Super Nanny would think? Totally "asseptible"!!
Hope you're having a great weekend.
Bri