Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Endurance test

There was too much wind on Sunday for me to do my 50km bike ride, so I opted for the 21km walk instead. To make it more interesting, I took my camera along. And now Blogger won't let me load all the photos, so you'll have to take it in installments.



This is part of the view from our balcony. It's an unusual view for Wellington, in that we can't see the sea, apart from a tiny sliver past the airport. Probably enough for a real estate agent to advertise it as expansive sea views.

After about 3km through the 'burbs, I reach the sea at Miramar wharf. There are always a few hardy souls fishing here. Every spring there'll be a story in the paper about a monster snapper one of them has caught.

This wharf is also the current parking spot for the ship used in King Kong. There are discussions about sinking it for use as a diving wreck. If they don't hurry up it will sink itself.

Making use of one of Wellington's renowned natural features, the city council have put in quite a few wind sculptures. This is the Zephyrometer - a 33m high orange needle on a gimbal, which sways in the breeze. We can see it from our house and judge how wild the day is. I have seen the Zephyrometer almost parallel to the ground.

There's a row of lovely old boathouses in Evans Bay, in every condition from dilapidated to resplendent. The paint jobs range from bright colours, through faded and peeling, to whatever was cheap at the latest fire sale. Some of them have numbers on the doors, but the numbers are out of sequence - some sort of 'in' joke, perhaps? This one is a favourite with wedding photographers.

11 comments:

CaramelKitKat said...

What a view! It would look fantastic at night.

I have never before seen a (had to go back to check spelling) Zephyrometre, so there's a new thing for the day. That photo is very deceptive, you would never know it was so high.

Me said...

Thank you for sharing views from your walk with us - it is always good to see what other people see when they are out and about.
Probably no point in me taking any photos - at the moment when I walk it is dark and you would only see the lights from homes and cars !!
Take care and have a great week !
Me

Melli said...

Ohhhhhh this is FABULOUS! I've always wanted to visit New Zealand and Wellington looks lovely! I love that you are taking me on a tour through your town and showing me the things that YOU find to be of the most interest! I'm thinking EVERYone should do a post like this!!! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Its the view that I probally miss most about Wellington, I lived in Khandallah and the drive to work each morning could take your breath away... live in North Canterbury now, the Alps look stunning... Neat photos


Cheers Margaret

Anne said...

I love your view:) ALso love Wellington - just has so much character.

Margaret said...

The boat houses are gorgeous. Reminds me of the days that people wore neck to knee swimmers rather than the barely there variety.

Glad blogger is playing nicely now :D

Ang said...

What awesome photos! I'm not meaning the views - while they are pretty darn cool. Your photography skills are top notch. Love it.

michelle said...

Great photos and must have made the walk so much more enjoyable having such interesting views to look at.

Nicole said...

What a beautiful place to walk! Great scenery certainly helps make walking easier!

Mary said...

WOW thanks for posting the pics Sue. What a gorgeous area you live in and able to walk around in!

Ails said...

You have a beautiful view from your home (great looking townhouse btw, from the other photo post)! Love that boathouse photo - fantastic colour :)