Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Points vs. NoCount

I've been doing NoCount for a few months now. And I really like it. But, let's face it, I'm not exactly losing much weight. There's nothing wrong with the plan, and it's definitely the plan I intend to follow for maintenance.

The main issue is my self-discipline. (As a slightly sick aside, am I the only person here for whom the words 'self-discipline' conjure up the scene from A Nun's Story where they beat themselves on their bare backs with knotted rope? Have I even got the right movie?) My portion sizes have been creeping up and the interpretation of fruit and veges only for snacks has become somewhat liberal. Of course boysenberry ice-cream is a fruit.

So, this week I switched back to tracking points again. Because I've got just over 6kg to go until I reach goal and I don't want that to take another three months.

I'm quite enjoying tracking again, but I see it more as a short-term aide than a long-term way of eating. It's also quite hard to adjust to only getting 19 points a day! That's quite a bit less than when I was on the points plan before.

The kitchen scales have made a reappearance as I get back into weighing, measuring and tracking my food. And writing it down...

This also makes it clear to me that I haven't overcome my 'food issues' and need to do a bit more soul-searching - particularly into why I use food as an avoidance tool.

10 comments:

Ang said...

19 points! ARGH - I guess you really have to use them WISELY when you get down to this stage.

I like your way of looking at it - you can't go on point counting for the rest of your life. But I'm sure this will speed things up.

Anne said...

Just read your post about Jake's team mate. Really so sad and tragic.

Good luck also with your point counting - here's hoping it will soon get you down to your goal.

Kenz said...

Boysenberry Ice Cream... Peach lollipops... banana fritters... potato crisps... Man why can't someone find a way to make fruit and veg a-la-naturale tempting!

LME said...

I've taken to counting and tracking calories while sticking pretty much to avoiding sugar and white carbs. I'm finding that as much as I hate tracking things, I have to do it.

Woohoo for being so close to goal, by the way!

Melli said...

Ya know... I think it's just human nature that after we've been dieting for a certain length of time we THINK we KNOW how many calories (or fat or points or carbs) are in "our food" and that we don't NEED to keep count anymore! But invariably, our hungry tummy's ... or our PLEASURE in eating, allow us to creep the portion size back up a little. Allow a dab of sour creme here, a little pat of butter there... oh we KNOW they're evil -- but surely just a BIT won't kill me! And no... it won't. But it WILL stop the pounds from coming off! I think we all go through this Sue. Good for YOU for doing what you needed to! You went back to counting - and I bet you'll be rid of those 6 kg way soon!

chrissie said...

Ditto to what Melli said.

Sometimes I enjoy tracking my foods and measuring and suchlike. Other times (most especially when I've eaten badly) I think to myself "pfft. It wasn't THAT bad. I can totally do without the pen and paper" only, I can't.

So I teach myself discipline and try to figure out why it is that I want to eat badly, and try to react to the cause instead of the cookie.

Anonymous said...

Sue great blog, love the pics from your walk!

How long does it take to do the 21km walk?

I can do 3km in 30 mins but thats walking pretty briskly on my treadmill, on real terrain I dunno :)

Sorry to hear of the young lads suicide. Males aged 15-30 are the highest risk for suicide and the rural and remote areas the rate is horrendous. We learned about it at uni and it truly is a scourge on our youth, good on you for bringing it up for thought. It might save someones life, you never know!

Good luck with the points, I too am on 19 a day (ick) I used to be on like 23 points a day hahaha how times change!

Thanks for commenting on my blog, I appreciate it!

Kate said...

Wow you are so close now!! Although it's probably like pregnancy - the last little bit seems to be the hardest and take the longest... but you're tough - you'll get there, of that I have no doubt!

Ails said...

Great new template look!

It'll be interesting to see what the scales say next time! Probably you will register a nice drop since counting points has enforced more discipline on your part. LOL at boysenberry icecream!

So sorry to read of Jake's mate - sad and gut-wrenching for so many :(

Mary said...

Great new template! You'll be so fine on maintenance. I don't count points anymore and I haven't forgotten everything I learnt either. You won't as well but yep, if you want to lose, you have to be more disciplined. I realise this with toning my body now too. I can't just stop doing weights and walk instead. I gotta do a little of both.

I hope you are enjoying your weekend!