Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Gonna be a tough adjustment

I've always prided myself on my ability to cope with change. Believe me, in my job I have to. For instance, my latest work role came about when the boss rang me about 8 o'clock one night and said 'Can you do a few days a week in Auckland for the next few months?'.

But one thing I'd prefer you not to muck with is my coffee.

Because coffee can set the tone of the whole day. Really.

I've managed to train the coffee shop in Parnell - they now know that I drink Wellington flat whites - in Wellington a flat white always has a double shot, in Auckland it's just a single. A bit like drinking dirty milk.

But the really bad thing that's happened to my coffee? The coffee shop I go to in Wellington has been sold. And the new people took over this week.

I loved that coffee shop. Okay, it's a bit small and often crowded. But they knew all the regulars' names and were nice enough to sound interested in our lives. I held lots of meetings there because I don't have a space for that at work.

Most importantly - the coffee rocked! Strong without a trace of bitterness, a lovely rich blend.

I've just had my first coffee from there - new owners and new barista (although at least they haven't changed the beans). It was decidedly average. Clearly one of the first things they did was reduce the number of beans going into the grind.

I'll give them this week, then vote with my feet.

10 comments:

Kathryn said...

Damn that sucks! Don't mess with people's coffee.

Anonymous said...

Damn it guys, don't mess with the coffee! It sure can be hard to find good coffee, especially when your regular disappears.

M@rla said...

Oh! Things like that can completely throw me off course. It's just too big a change in my life. You've got to tell them what they're doing wrong; if you're going to quit them anyway if they don't shape up, nothing to lose.

Rachel said...

It sounds like they are trying to do the quantity not quality thing and that will just lose them customers. I agree with Marla, tell them how you like it - nothing to lose.

Its so hard to find really good coffee these days (strong and hot) and now it has been taken away *sigh* not fair!

Anne said...

I think you've got to mention it to them. I'm sure they will be keen to keep their customers!!

Ang said...

haha.... you coffee drinkers are such funny people :D

Felicity said...

well that is just not right-messing with a girls coffee.

Kenz said...

How dare they!!! It's so hard when something is stripped from you like that... but its a good excuse to go out for lots of coffees to experiment with new ones :)

Ails said...

Man, that sucks. I hate it when people/shops move on and things are just never the same again, it's like a little piece of you dies (well, that was a little melodramatic really! ;)

Hope things improve really soon!

Melli said...

Ugh! That is sooooo sad! I'm with you ... don't MESS with my coffee! (or my tea either) I've found Starbucks to be most unreliable -- because some are independently owned and some are corporately owned -- and you never know who's playing by what rules! So we have a little mom & pop coffee shop right near school called Common Grounds and I LOVE them. They know just how I like whatever I order! I don't always order the same thing -- but I only have 2 or 3 favorites -- and they have them down pat! I LOVE that! I feel for you Sue!