Friday, September 29, 2006

My new thing

My gym is running a 12 week transformation challenge - with PRIZES! I really need something to push me past this months-long plateau and get me to goal before Christmas. PLUS I want to be really toned.

I've signed up and I start tomorrow.

Reading the supplied material, the challenge is pretty much based on Body for Life.

So, no stuffing around, I'm going to do the full-out Body for Life programme for 12 weeks. I really like the approach this programme takes to exercise - meticulous planning and recording, high intensity, very disciplined. It's all about quality and constantly pushing yourself harder, rather than working out for longer and longer periods of time. Basically it's just three 45 minutes resistance workouts and three 20 minute cardio sessions a week. Almost sounds like not enough to me!

The eating side of the programme doesn't appeal to me as much, but I'm sure I can stick to it for 12 weeks. After that I intend to go back on NoCount. Having a free day every week will be interesting though...

The great thing about doing it as part of the gym challenge (apart from the lure of PRIZES) is that I get the support of my fitness consultant, Dale. He's been so good with my gym work all along, so I know he'll be a huge help with this. He was the NZ Bodybuilding champ in his weight class last year - this boy knows his stuff!

And in my usual tradition of being a complete sad-arse, I'm having my assessment with him tonight, after I get back from Auckland. That's right folks, I'm going to the gym on a Friday night!

On my promises for the last week I've been a bit average. Exercise has been pretty good (and Laser Strike last night was a HUGE workout) and food has been a bit average. All that and my period have meant a 200 gram gain. Trying not to get frustrated about my inability to stick things properly...

My promises for next week? Well, quite simply, seven full days of sticking absolutely to the new programme. No slips, no skips.

And I've got lots of lovely tracking forms and spreadsheets to help me.

Sigh, such a geek.

10 comments:

Cinders said...

Good luck with the BFL challenge Sue. I'm sure with your determination you'll kick some butt.

Anne said...

Sounds as if the challenge is just what you need - and how sad is that going to the gym on a Friday night!!

Kathryn said...

Good luck. Sounds like a fantastic idea.

Anonymous said...

So what are the prizes??!!!

Jac said...

I was going to sign up for one of those 12 week challenges at my gym, but I was about 4 days late... so I promptly whisked it into the too-hard-basket and went on my way.

good luck though!

Suzy said...

Sounds fantastic! Good luck with it and I hope you get lots of prizes.

Melli said...

Oh boy! Sounds very challenging to me! I started my pilate/yoga class last night -- and was pitifully humbled by it! It kicked MY arse! Oy! Good luck with this! I hope you WIN! What are the prizes anyway?

Anonymous said...

The new programme sounds very cool! Look forward to reading how you go :-)

Lainey said...

I'm telling you, Friday night gym sessions are the way forward. It's always nice and quiet and you also get to feel all smug!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck with your gym challenge. I think I need something like that to help me stay focused. Look forward to hearing how you do :)