Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Tired, pretty damn grumpy, but still standing

Well, it's been a long week. I was very glad to get home last night after 10 days in Auckland.

I take my hat off to the people who work in our warehouses all the time. This a a really hard-working bunch of people. I may be 'exercise fit', but that is nothing like the type of fitness needed to work on your feet all day, lifting, carrying, counting, packing, stacking - all the stuff that goes into the logistics end of our operation - and not collapse into an incoherent, exhausted heap at the end of the day.

The bursitis in my knee made it impossible for me to keep up that sort of activity 12 hours a day for days on end, so I ended up doing lots of the computer work. But I still spent too much time on my feet - and lots of time putting ice on my knee in the evenings.

I basically can't do any cardio work except walking at the moment and the resistance work on my legs I'm doing at much lower weights. I'll just ease back into things as I start to feel better.

My grumpiness isn't helped by the fact Waikato took a well-deserved win over Wellington in the final on Saturday night. Our scrum was a mess, we had no possession and spent stuff-all time in their 22. You can't expect a win on those stats. Nuff said. And the Kiwi league boys losing the plot against the Kangaroos in the Tri-Nations game contributed nothing to my mood. Don't even start me on the cricket!

I might have to stop being a sports nut!

Anyway, sorry for being such a grump! Better go now before this turns into a whinge-fest.

7 comments:

Jonny 5 said...

Hi Sue, it was nice to meet you last week. I was a bit gutted too that the Kiwi's lost to Aussie in the league... especially with Philippa staying with us! Bloody Australians... lol.
Bummer about your knee. Be careful, it needs to last you a lifetime.

Kt said...

Knee sounds rather sore!!!
I ws rather surprised about the Waikato win! But then I was even more surprised at how bad canterbury's season was - its been an odd season!

Suzy said...

Sounds like you need a couple of days to just relax and pamper yourself. Hope you are recovering.

Felicity said...

http://www.realduathlon.co.nz/main.cfm?id=56

Hi Sue I am thinking about coming to Wellington to do this one May 6th

Anne said...

Here's hoping your knee soon comes right. Nothing worse than wanting to keep moving and you can't.

Anonymous said...

That knee doesn't sound too good but I hope it gets better soon. Don't push it too much!

I was just thinking the other day as I was on my bus going past construction workers and have been for the past 5 months (Lane Cove Tunnel project) how much harder their job is and most days I am only off my arse for not even a fraction. These guys ARE on their feet all day and more often than not, carrying heavier weights than I could dream of. Sure puts it in perspective.

I always think of the African woman who have to walk miles for water too. My mum said they used to have to do that too during the war back home in her country. We are so privilidged (and lazy) now and sometimes I think that's a bad thing. We don't have to work as hard and geez, no wonder we have an obesity epidemic.

Margaret said...

Whinge away Sue. You don't do it often so it is good to have a place to do it in.

Sorry about the Rugby...