Friday, November 10, 2006

Eat your veges

I was giving a presentation to our sales development group yesterday. One of the props I was using was a plate of cold cooked broccoli and cauliflower.*

As I was chatting to them, I looked at all the food on the table. There was the plate of veges, a bowl of fruit, some double chocolate muffins, a couple of bite-size quiches and some sweets.

Which of these would I prefer to eat? The fruit, closely followed by the vegetables (but not cold!). After that, probably the quiches, the sweets, then the muffins.

And not because I'm being good, but because that's how my food tastes work now. I know I might like to eat some of those other foods, but that I'd probably enjoy them less than anticipated and there's a good chance I'd feel gross afterward.

Aaah, how things have changed!


*The reason I was using cold veges as a prop? It's an analogy that can work well with exercise too.

It's what I call 'eating your cauliflower'. Remember when you were a kid and there was a vegetable you really hated? You knew you should eat it first, while it was still hot. Then it wouldn't taste as gross and the rest of the meal would take the taste away. But often you'd leave it till last, when it was cold and really set your gag reflex going. And you didn't enjoy the rest of your meal as much because you KNEW you still had to eat your cauliflower.

I encourage our people to apply this to their work when it comes to telling clients bad news (job is running late, needs reprinting, etc). The sooner you tell them, the more chance there is to work out a solution. If you leave it, the problem will just get harder to solve and the client is more likely to get pissed off. Plus you walk around worrying about telling them...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is eating your cauliflour a bit like swalling your frog?

My life coach friend is always talking about swalling your frog, or doing the hardest things first :-)

Anonymous said...

Sorry that should read swallowing your frog - think I need more sleep lol

Anonymous said...

That analogy is so clever, and yet so common sense too.... must remember it.....

Kathryn said...

I'd have gone the mini quiches! I love those things. But only hot, otherwise you get that icky pastry coating on your mouth.

I'm a freak - I'd eat the cold cauliflower :D

michelle said...

Ok great analogy, but nothing will make me eat broccoli, first or last.

Anonymous said...

ahh that's a brilliant analogy :) i like when people bring a bit of imagination to the workplace!

Lainey said...

I love a big plate of steaming hot cauliflower and broccoli - especially with a wee bit of (low fat!) cheese sauce.

Have to confess - I would have gone with the muffins.

The Candid Bandit said...

What a fantastic way to remember that analogy.

Im a bit of a weirdo too I inthk. I always eat my vegies hot before anything else on my plate.

Anonymous said...

I eat my vegies first too, but the quiches would have come a close second!
Bri

Suzy said...

Great analogy!

Anonymous said...

Definitely the best analogy I've heard in a while! I get the whole vegie/fruit thing over anything else now too. I crave it and starting to crave water too which was always hard for me to drink to start with.

Kellee said...

Aren't you a clever girl? Does that mean that I should really be doing my washing first and THEN checking blogs? *sigh*