Monday, November 13, 2006

No longer legless

More encouraging news from the physio today.

Now the acute injury to the patellar tendon has been cleared up, I still have quite a bit of pain in my knee. He was starting to mumble about scans, etc, to look for degenerative damage to the knee.

However, today we worked out that while I was limping about with the original injury, all the muscles around my knee and up the side of my thigh have tightened up. This is pulling my kneecap to one side and causing the pain.

He gave me some pretty painful massage today to start working out the knots and has showed me some very specific stretches to do three times a day. A couple of weeks of that and he's hoping it will be all fine again.

And even better, I can start doing some resistance work on my lower body. No squats or lunges, and keeping the resistance pretty low, but this feels like real progress!

10 comments:

Melli said...

YAY! Hope those stretches do the trick!

Anonymous said...

That's great news for you! I'm off to Dr today, me foot is really sore form falling down the stairs, not to mention me bum!!

Anonymous said...

Yay for two legs! I used to work on the 'vascular surgery' ward, where most people were either amputees or heading that way in the coming years, so I learnt that 2 legs are something to be VERY thankful for :-)

M@rla said...

Hurray for lower body work! Glad there's progress with the knee, this must have been terribly frustrating. You've handled it so well with finding other forms of exercise, instead of lying on the couch eating doughnuts for six months until it's better. I mean, not that anyone I know would do that.

Anonymous said...

Great news! Getting over an injury always makes you appreciate being make to normal again.

michelle said...

Glad you are making progress with your injury even if it is slower than you want. I soo understand the frustration of not being able to exercise the way you want to.

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic news Sue and I have no doubt the stretching will fix the problem, whoot!

Kellee said...

Yay for you! I'm so pleased that you're able to do stuff again. That must have driven you nuts! I suppose it was your body's way of telling you to take a break. Just don't overdo it otherwise you'll have to rest up for even longer.

Although, you could use it as an excuse not to do housework... after all, I'm sure that sweeping the floor/doing the washing/cleaning the bathroom would be bad for your knee, right? DH and DS had better do it.

Julie's Journey said...

Take it easy and take it slowly. I know how frustrating it can be but it really is better to ease yourself back into it. Hope you feel better soon
Julie

Anonymous said...

Sounds like really good news! Fingers crossed for even better soon :)