Sunday, January 07, 2007

Back to work tomorrow...

As usual, the worst thing about going back to work is - WEARING SHOES! I'm a real barefoot Kiwi girl, and squeezing these wide feet back into work shoes is no fun.

Apart from that, not too worried about going back to work. Mark and I are planning a couple of holidays later this year - one to Dunedin to spend some time with his immediate family and some of my extended family in April, and one to Phillip Island in September to watch some motorbike racing for Mark's 50th. Of course, that will require a few days in Melbourne...

I've planned a fairly light exercise week in case I find work too tiring! Have dropped the aquajogging for this week, as it is in danger of being overused.

The new workout on Sunday is one you can do at the beach. I'll ride over to Seatoun, then there are some interesting moves like triceps dips on a park bench, crab walks and picnic table push-ups.

Speaking of push-ups - my new aim is to learn how to do men's push-ups (I think this is a skill Kathryn mastered last year). Jake's been trying to work out why I can't do them, but he can't speak for laughing at my pathetic attempts. It's either my shoulder strength or my triceps. So I'm going to start with doing them against higher objects (like picnic tables) and work my way down.

7 January summary
Breakfast: cottage cheese and jam on soy/linseed toast
Lunch: none of your goddamn business
Dinner: chicken salad
Snacks: three (!) trim flat whites, peach, banana, juice bar drink (beetroot, carrot, apple, celery and ginger)
Treats: a sauvignon blanc which doesn't really rate a mention
Exercise: 45 minute aquajog

11 comments:

Mary said...

I was thinking that too today!! Damn shoes. I don't want to go back so soon but we have some trips planned for later as well so I guess I can't really complain.

Men's push ups are hard but it's such an awesome feeling when you can do them. We do something similar in yoga and I had the sorest arm muscles at first but they do get stronger the more you practice.

I hope you have a good start to the week back at work!

M@rla said...

It's funny how differently people are put together - you are MUCH fitter and stronger than I am, and weigh a lot less, but I can do a few men's pushups. I remember back in school a million years ago, I could also do 2 or 3 pullups, but I couldn't hang on the bar for even a split second - which is what the girls were tested on!

Oh my life is so unfair. Everyone cry with me!

Kathryn said...

Good luck with the pushups. It's an amazing feeling to know you can move your own weight with your arms :)

Melli said...

Excellent plan! I've only just started back into pushups myself! All the weight I lost last year - and all the fitness stuff -- I paid sO little attention to my UPPER body. My lower half is really doing well - but my upper half is in need of some serious work! So that's my fitness goal for this year - to put MORE WORK into my upper body! Do you have an exercise ball? Back when I went to the BIG gym years and years ago ... the LAST time I was fairly thin... my fitness trainer had taught me to do push ups on the fitness ball -- in two different ways! One (the easiest) was to put my hands on the floor and my feet on the ball and push up that way -- it just helped having the feet elevated. But the HARD way was to lean your hands on the fitness ball and do the push-ups - keeping your body angled and stiff like a board, of course! It adds sO much to the push-up because you're also balancing on the ball! HOLY COW! Hard work! At least for ME it was! Good luck with ALL your goals and endeavors this year Sue! I'll be watching! (and learning...) You're a great inspiration to me!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue, I'm pretty much a lurker :)

Just wanted to say, we go to MotoGP at Phillip Island every year, so if you want some tips on accommodation & tickets, shoot me an email. My main tip is - do not stay in Melbourne & catch the bus back & forth!! You will be SO exhausted! my email is markmanda at optusnet.com.au

Amanda.

Suzy said...

Lunch sounds interesting!?

Hope work is OK.

Anonymous said...

I agree with slim suzy... lunch sounds interesting... so are ya going to tell he he he he

CM

Rachel said...

How's the first day back at work? Feet killing you?

I also started back today and it is a real struggle.......oh well, only 51 weeks to go until Xmas...hahaha.

Zanna said...

Thinking about you and your feet - mind you I have to wear steel capped safety boots every day!

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you and this is my first time at your blog. Love the name. And your lunch sounded good! Really like how you mix up your workouts.

Looking forward to learning more about you.

Cheers,
Judi in San Diego

Chris H said...

Hi Sue, am finally getting back into it with the motivation... I think. Will be home tomorrow, so will be starting in earnest then. Could you please try putting a comment on me blog so I can see how the Moderator works!!! Nasty wee family member has been blocked, sad. Thanks.