Thursday, August 28, 2008

Easily derailed

In fact, it sometimes seems the tracks aren’t there at all!

Having decided I really want to get my weight down, at least back into the (once briefly visited) mid-70s, I am struggling to keep my focus going for more than a few days at a time.

I know exactly why this is happening, but that doesn’t help me get it under control.

When I first lost a large amount of weight – 46kg in that first year – it was easy to become very self-centred in my approach. I didn’t realise it fully at the time, but my life was not really a very happy place. Apart from my son and my work, I wasn’t getting much fulfilment. So, it was easy to throw myself into eating plans and exercise schedules. More importantly, it was easier to stick to them when I had so few distractions.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m not moaning about being deliriously happy. No way, baby!

But now I need to take a new approach, and it’s taking me some time to get my head around. In the long run, it will be a more realistic approach, because it will be how I live the rest of my life.

It’s no longer about being strict, about firmly defined limits. It’s about being flexible. There will be much more ‘listening’ to my body, and thinking about whether I really want something, or if it’s just a short term urge that will go away if resisted.

I’m actually very excited about this. There are lots of things involved that I’ve only be playing lip service to for a long time – portion sizes, healthy choices, self control. But it will take a bit of trial and error to get right.

Exercise continues to be very important to me. Not just because I love it, but because it helps keep me focused. I know how much better I run if I haven’t had those two glasses of wine the night before – so if I have a run planned it is easier to abstain. Basically, it is easier for me to eat well if I am exercising well.
So, in a world where sustainability is the buzz word of the moment, here’s to a more sustainable approach to my health.

3 comments:

Julie's Journey said...

Such a sensible approach. Im starting my own journey tomorrow. Good luck and keep in touch. Any clues to what is helping you would be appreciated.

The Candid Bandit said...

It's really interesting hearing this from someone who is further down the track than I've ever been.

Like Julie, I'm all ears too.

Kathryn said...

I think I'm like you - it's much easier for me to be focussed when things aren't so good in other areas. I guess it's necessary to have control of some part of lives at times.

Good luck with getting back into it.