Thursday, September 11, 2008

A bit bilious

Last night I ate a meal I regretted.

The meal tasted really good. It was well-prepared and made from fresh, organic ingredients.

I didn’t regret it because of any ‘diet’ guilt.

I regretted it because I didn’t feel good after it – in fact didn’t feel good for the rest of the evening and still don’t feel too flash this morning.

Why didn’t I feel good? Because it was just too rich!

It was chicken with a creamy mushroom sauce, served with gnocchi, pumpkin and spinach. The richness wasn’t helped by the fact the gnocchi was fried not just boiled.

Yes, the meal tasted great, but it just wasn’t worth how I felt afterward.

This is a big lesson for me – think of food not just in how it tastes and whether I ‘should’ be eating it from a calorie and fat intake point of view. Think of how food is going to make feel after I have eaten it.

Really, the Thai beef salad would have been a much smarter choice.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Ugghhh, that belly feeling sucks. I've never been a fan of creamy pasta sauces - too rich for me.

Anne said...

Taste buds really do change, I find the same with rich foods now. Also eating out when on holiday, I found the portions too big!

Julie's Journey said...

Im having that trouble too. Indian the night before last left me quite happy I wasnt sharing a room with anyone at the conference.