Thursday, November 20, 2008

Nostalgia shot


We’ve just had our new fridge delivered, and it made me remember this photo from this post.

That fridge got left behind when I left the old house (and life) behind. I don’t like my chances of talking Jake into posing for another shot like this.

I spoke to him a couple of days ago when he was in Amsterdam (and I don’t even want to think about what he was getting up to). He is ambivalent about coming home – excited to be seeing everyone, but worried that it’s all going to feel strange and flat.

He has not yet really had to face the fact of his parents separating, which happened just after he left in April last year. That may take some getting his head around.

He’s not met Craig yet either, although he did work with one of his sons briefly. Mind you, I think Craig is more worried about this meeting than Jake is.

So, things are feeling a bit unsettled, but I’m sure it will be fine. Jake is not the sort to make trouble where it doesn’t exist and all he wants is for us to be happy. And happy is something that I certainly am; whether Mark is or not is none of my concern.

Anyway, my boy is coming home and that’s just too cool for words!

10 comments:

Chris H said...

Oh I remember that photo! I hope all goes well upon his return and he really likes Craig!

Apple2Hourglass said...

I loved that photo when you posted it the first time and it still makes me smile. I'm sure you'll all be fine once the nerves die down. Jake is old enough to know that life is not perfect and relationships don't always last. Once he sees how wonderfully happy you and Craig are, he'll be fine.
Hugs,
Bri

Margaret said...

I remember when my two sons met my new man, eldest was reserved, youngest was easy on him, now they all get on. I was very worried about the meeting too. My ex would question the boys "is he invading your space" but all is well now. Good luck, if he is anything like my boys, then he will just want his mum to be happy and contented.

Anne said...

Yes - don't even think about Amsterdam!!!

Jake will feel strange and flat - I know, I've been there and so have a couple of our kids, but the feelings pass. Weird - happy to be home but.....

Good luck with Jake and Craig meeting up. As long as you are happy I'm sure Jake will be as well!

And yep - do remember that photo!

Margaret said...

You know, I don't think I cleaned out my fridge the first time that photo made the rounds, and I haven't since LOL..

In a way it might be good for Jake to have a few things to focus on when he comes home, it will help in the transition from "freedom, holiday mode" to life back at home.

You have always shown him in a light which reflects a fun loving but even headed kid. I am sure he will be able to work his new blended family into his life as quickly as he can pick up a rugby ball and head out to the oval :)

Julie's Journey said...

I remember that photo from the first time too! Gorgeous boy. Craig sounds so nice I am sure he and Jake will be fine. The thing is they both love you which has to help. Just relax and enjoy.

Mary said...

That was a great shot! He'll definitely feel flat when he gets back (my brother and sis did after nearly a year off around the world) but then things fall into place again but not ever the same either, no matter what's happened back home. I hope it all goes smoothly for you guys hon and very exciting :-)

Suzy said...

Yay for your son coming home. Mine will be home in three weeks (after two years), so I know how you feel.
All will be well :-)

Marla said...

I remember that photo too - my goodness, we've all been around a long time!

Margaret said...

Hope Jake hasn't kidnapped you and is holding you hostage in some smelly Rugby locker until you agree to let him go back overseas - that or that you promise to remove the fridge photo LOL :)