Monday, November 17, 2008

See how far my bottom lip sticks out?

Not my most successful effort, the duathlon.

I was having real doubts about my ability to do the second (5km) run, but was happy to walk parts of it if I needed to, despite my earlier NO WALKING resolve.

What I didn’t expect was to strike trouble on the ride. It has always been my strongest discipline, and having done the 50km recently I was feeling fine about it. Maybe that was my downfall?

It was a very windy day on Sunday – gusting over 80km/hour on the course. So the first run was very tough, with some vile headwinds. In fact I even had to walk parts of that – I could walk just as fast as I could run in those conditions.

But the ride REALLY hurt. I was trying to keep my speed over 25km/hour on average, and it was probably too big a task in the wind. By about 12km I was getting cramp in my right thigh and it just kept getting worse. By the end of the 20km the upper leg was cramped solid and I just COULDN’T walk or run it off.

So, I made it about 1km into the second run and then pulled out.

DNF. Shit!

I spent the afternoon parked on the couch watching movies and sulking.

But, of course, I’m over it now.

I think there were a number of contributing factors. I spent the week on antibiotics because of a kidney infection – which also meant I hardly trained at all. I didn’t adjust my expectations to the weather conditions. And – I think this is the biggie – I listened to my own negative self talk. And, really, I just wasn’t prepared for the distance. I’m not a strong runner and the mental toughness to push through the challenge wasn’t there.

End of self-analysis, time to move on.

From now till Christmas I’ll focus on fitness for weight loss, so keeping my cardio load quite high. Then in the New Year – train for a short duathlon on 18 January (2.5km/15km/2.5km) and hit the medium duathlon again on 8 February.

Then I have a really big challenge planned, but more on that later…

7 comments:

Anne said...

I would say one of the big contributing factors was the kidney infection/antibiotics. Sometimes we have to listen to our bodies. Down this time but not out!

Looking forward to hearing about the next challenge?

Kathryn said...

Sounds like a tough event in that weather. Good to hear you're planning for the next one already :D

Chris H said...

Bummer about the event going pear shaped on you mate. Hope your lip isn't still sticking out.... you will do better next time.... and WHAT BIG CHALLENGE? Hanging out to hear all about it....

Margaret said...

I read the entire post with my bottom lip out :) I think one of our biggest problems in our attempts to do anything is our damn perfectionism. It is almost like - if we can't do if perfectly then dammit I am not going to do it at all.

I think you did AMAZINGLY and you should be proud that you got as far as you did. No excuses, but the facts are there. Well done. And good luck for your fitness challenges ahead

Rachel said...

The biggest thing I reckon is that you even made it to the start line after a kidney infection.....WOW awesome effort.

I love you have already organised what one's you will be doing next year.

Stirling effort Sue!

Marla said...

O damn that sucks! But sometimes luck is just against us. Better fortune on the next one...

Julie's Journey said...

Sue, I think you are a legend for even attempting to do it. I am completely in awe of your resolve and no matter what you say, your fitness. Good to move on to next challenge and await the return of your Jake. I cant think of a better Chrissie present.