Monday, June 06, 2005

When good habits go bad!

Well, it's the Monday of Queen's Birthday weekend, and it feels like I barely survived a weekend of sport. The sport itself was fine, the eating wasn't quite so good.
Jake (16 year old son) had a 3 day underwater hockey tournament. I really enjoy these tournaments; love to see all the kids competing and having fun.
Friday night was okay. They just had one game, so we had dinner before we went. No problems with points or being tempted with fast food.
Saturday started out pretty good, too. Being seniors, they had no games until the evening, so it was a fairly normal Saturday for us. 'Normal' means Jake has a game of rugby at 1pm, then we watch the 1st XV play. So far, so good.
Then it was out to the pools for the two evening games. Didn't quite get around to dinner before we left. And who forgot to pack any snacks? D'oh!
By the time they'd had 2 games and I'd dropped everyone off, we got home about 11pm. And I was absolutely ravenous! It took a lot of self control not to inhale everything in the fridge. But I still managed to stay within my points. So far, not so bad!
Sunday, it all came undone. Left home at 7.15am. Had breakfast first, packed some snacks. Then we spent all day at the pools. Watched some great games. Our boys didn't get a medal, but they got 4th, so they still qualify for the national tournament. And I completely stuffed up my eating!
I didn't get around to eating my snacks when I should have and was absolutely STARVING by 2pm. Dropped the boys at the mall so they could chill out and feed themselves.
I then went to McDs to get one of their Deli Choice sandwiches. The points on those are okay, and I ordered a diet coke as well. When I drove away, I discovered they'd also put medium fries in my bag. I was so hungry, my self control completely disappeared and I ate the lot.
So, by the time we got home last night, it was time for dinner and I only had two points left. I made chicken soup and ended the day 1 point over.
Lessons learnt:

  1. Don't let myself get to that level of extreme hunger. Temptations are easier to resist when you aren't so hungry you could eat the crutch out of a low-flying duck!
  2. I can recover from bad days. I went off the rails during the day, but a good dinner choice helped me back on track (almost).
  3. Planning makes all the difference. Good planning would have made this weekend much easier to handle. I'm a control freak - it shouldn't be hard to control this.
  4. One day does not a diet make. Even if I have a bad day, it doesn't mean the week is shot.

So, all in all, it was probably a good thing to go through, to remind me of the good habits that I've learned. Let's see what the scales say on Friday...

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Sue, what a great post. You are so right. "One day does not a diet make". You have such a busy life and are doing so well to balance all that AND eating within points as well.
Cheers :)

Suzy said...

I don't think many of us could resist a bag of fries if they were in our bag. I know I couldn't. That was not fair! You recovered well though with the soup for tea!

Jonny 5 said...

Excellent points.
I have also found the key to not feeling hunger is to make sure I eat something every 2-3hrs, even if it's only some fruit...

I wouldn't even call the chip incident a bad day because you made up for it... that's realy fantastic, keeping yourself to the points is the way to go... but remember, veges are no points (more or less).