Thursday, February 23, 2006

First meeting

Well, I have rejoined WW and went to my first meeting yesterday. It's a city lunchtime meeting, so was pretty busy. Not enough talking in the discussion for my liking - I'll have to stir things up a bit! Rather like the leader, though. An Englishwoman with a nicely understated sense of humour and obviously well-read - was I the only person in the room who got the Katherine Mansfield reference? I'm such a snob!

I have decided to give No Count a go to see how it works for me. The basic premise works like this:
You have three meals a day, at which you can eat 'freely' from a restricted list of foods. 'Freely' really means in moderation, not to the point of feeling like a puffer fish.
Outside those three meals, you can snack on fruit and vegetables only.
In addition, you can use 21 points a week for foods outside the list - e.g. that white bread you can't live without, your chocolate treat on a Friday night.

I think this can work for me because:
Portion sizes are so automatic after almost a year of counting points I think there is little risk of me making my meals too big.
I like the fact the list of foods is basically whole foods and no processed foods, and therefore my overall diet should become even healthier.
There are essentially no 'treat' foods - the way I am at the moment I think I'm best to keep right away from those things, rather than try and stop after 'just a little bit'.
The 21 points gives me enough leeway to eat out a couple of times a week, or have a few drinks at some stage.
If I know I've got a really busy week coming up I can switch back to tracking points for a week if I like.

So, I'm going to try it for 4 weeks - long enough to get through the first couple of weeks of losing just because it is something new, and to form a habit if I want to keep going with it.

Interestingly, though, no other women at the meeting are following No Count. A few had tried it and didn't find it worked for them. The leader did say the uptake had been lower than they expected. I feel it would be quite difficult to do it as your first experience of WW - the control of portion sizes and learning to stop eating when you are full seem a bit difficult to learn quickly. After all, the lack of those controls is the reason why many of us are overweight.

My WW weight yesterday was 87.8kg. I'd weighed at 86.9kg at home in the morning, so I imagine our scales are fairly close. I am going to continue using my home scales to track my weight in the sidebar, but will report my 'official' weight each week when I let you know how I'm going on the new programme.

Another new experience...

10 comments:

Suzy said...

Good luck with NoCount. It will be interesting to see how you go with it. I don't really count points each day, just every now and then to see how I am going, but I also don't stick to fruit and veg between meals. I think it all sounds very sensible though.

Kate said...

Good on you for going!

I am a huge fan of Katherine Mansfield. You can easily get lost in her stories, I love the language and imagery.

Speaking of such things - those books arrived bright and early this morning - so fast!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I can't wait to get started on them - some are by authors I have read, one of the books I have already read, and some are ones I have looked at in the shops so great selection, thank you!

Anne said...

Best of luck with WW - I don't think you will regret joining. Even better if you decided to continue on and become a ifetime member to help you with maintaining once you get to goal. I'm find the leaders have their bit to get through but the better meetings are for me when the members get more involved and talking.

I'll be really interested in how the No count plan works for you. I can really relate to Jodie's comment about how you can get a little relaxed after awhile as that is what I'm going through at the moment.

Best of luck Sue:)

Margaret said...

Congratulations for re-joining ww. It will be interesting to see how you rate the communication differences between face to face and on-line support.

I agree with your appraisal of the no-count and portion control problem. Portion control is the reason most of us became overweight in the first place and the points programme really helped me see how much I should be eating. No-count sounds fantastic once you already have some controls in place.

Good luck Sue. Only 10kgs to go. That is just absolutely amazing. :)

Kt said...

good luck for no count, it does sound like a great plan.

Felicity said...

all the best with your new adventure and journey to a different road to the weight loss trek WW is working so well for others and I know u can do it girl.

Karen said...

Yay for rejoining and good luck for the No Count plan... I hope it works for you.
Will drop you an email in the next week or so regarding the boxes - thanks heaps :)

Ails said...

Hey Sue!

Thanks ever so much for dropping by my new blog!

I've been lurking in the background for a couple of months, and have stopped in lots over the last few weeks to see how you were going with the lead up to the triathalon and how it all panned out. What a fantastic accomplishment for you!

And I have to say, to actually lose over 45kgs in less than a year and change your life in so many unbelievable ways is beyond words!

Watch me cheer you over the line when you hit goal!!

Ails :)

LME said...

I, too, will be interested to see how it goes with the No Count (they call it "Core Plan" over here). I've been considering switching to shake things up a little, but have been hesitant because I'm so used to counting points.

Mary said...

Great going Sue. I look forward to seeing how No Count works for you :-)