Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Confused?

Okay, I never thought I'd say this, but I'm pretty much over these short weeks!

We have had: a four-day week, followed by a four-day weekend, followed by a four-day week, followed by a two-day weekend, followed by a one-day week, followed by a one-day weekend, and now we're in a three-day week which will be followed by a two-day weekend!

It's not that I don't like the extra days off, but my increasingly enfeebled brain is struggling to remember what day it is.

I came on here to update my exercise plan, just like I do every Monday - damn, today's Wednesday!

I just realised I didn't send out an email reminder for tonight's rugby meeting (even more confusing because we moved it from the usual Tuesday to Wednesday), so we'll probably only get about three people there - but I'll still have to turn up.

Remembered just in time to put the wheelie-bin out last night. That COULD NOT have lasted another week, as it was full to the brim with pizza boxes and fizzy bottles - school holidays always see a marked increase in the consumption of these things at our house.

Of course, my brain might also be addled by TIS - testosterone inhalation syndrome! I'm used to having extraneous boys lolling about the house, but yesterday was a marathon effort.

Yesterday, our house was the site of the Great ANZAC Day Poker Tournament. A dozen teenage boys squished around our dining room table, playing poker - for over nine hours!

I fed them all Eggs Benedict for lunch (I know, I'm such a soft touch - I even make the hollandaise sauce from scratch), then tried to leave them to it. But, when you live in a townhouse, escaping the noise all those boys can make is impossible. I guess one saving grace is that they don't drink when they're playing cards, because there is money at stake. I hate to think how much more noise a dozen DRUNKEN teenage boys could make!

By the end of the afternoon, Mark and I had had enough, so we went out for dinner and a movie. Only five or six of them were still going when we got home, and they were basically packing up. Still, I'd rather they were having fun at our house (and there wasn't too much mess), than out on the streets getting up to who-knows-what.

On the subject of movies, Sione's Wedding is one to see. Pretty light-hearted, but the great depictions of Samoans (by Samoans) had me absolutely HOWLING with laughter. I don't know if there is an Aussie release date for it - but if there is, get along to see it.

And, of course, today's post wouldn't be complete without a HUGE congratulations to the lovely Philippa, who has reached goal weight. Phil, you are one amazing woman.

7 comments:

Margaret said...

You are amazing. You actually make me look forward to the time my boys are boisterous teenagers with big mouths and bigger appetites and all hanging around getting in the way. Good luck at training tonight. I hope the trip out there will be worth it.

And just for your information, tomorrow is Thursday :D

Ang said...

:) What a cool mum you are!!!

Karen said...

I so know what you mean about the short weeks and the confusion! I spent all day today thinking it was Monday! LOL
You are a fantastic Mum - hope I can be as fantastic as you when my ones grow up!

Briony said...

The girls at work yesterday kept asking me how my weekend was!! haha, we're all confused.
My DS is nearly two, but i'm also looking forward to when he grows up (not too quickly). I hope we have as much fun as you do!
Bri

Anne said...

I've being getting a bit mixed up with the days as well - but I love the short weeks!

Great having the boys at your place, we were like that as well when our kids were at that stage.

Also good that you managed a little escape with Mark for a couple of hours.

CaramelKitKat said...

Hmpf, wish my mum had had your attitude toward my teenage years, but nope, she favoured the psychotic banshee approach - needless to say, without success!

Did you ever uncover the mystery of the folded washing?

And re the short weeks, wash your mouth out woman!

Hope the meeting was a success. Use it as an opportunity to pass motions such as those who miss meetings get put on jumper washing duty, that'll teach people to look at their own damn calendars.

Have a great mini-week!

Mary said...

LOL can we just have a full week off, that's what I want :-) You sound like an awesome mum too so I'm glad you treated yourselves after. I'll keep an eye out for the movie, thanks. Have a great weekend!