Monday, May 01, 2006

Action plan

I have identified three areas I want to concentrate on. They're not necessarily things I'm doing badly, but things I could do better. Monitoring them will help me get back into the habit of mental discipline. And then that habit will spill over into the rest of my life.

Water

Most days I drink plenty of water. But I don't drink it right through the day. I drink 500ml as soon as I get up. I drink plenty while I'm working out and (mostly) during the day at work. Often I drink none at all in the evening (and not much of anything else either).
Action point: drink a glass of water as soon as I get home from work, one while I'm cooking dinner and one about an hour after dinner.

Steps

I have never bothered with a pedometer before. I do get lots of exercise - but how much and how consistently?
I'm also interested to know how much exercise I get APART from my planned exercise. Does running up and down to the courier room a couple of times a day help much at all? Am I doing 6000 steps when I take the dog out, but only 600 steps for the rest of the evening?
Action point: hook on that pedometer. Every day.

Scales

How did I go from being a once-a-week to a once-a-day weigher? Weighing every day has a negative effect on my eating, no matter what the number. If my weight is down from the day before, I subconsciously relax my attitude to eating and allow myself extra because I'm doing so well. If my weight is up, it's easy to slip into thinking the week is a write-off anyway.
Action point: weigh on Fridays. Any other day, the scales are just a big pile of dust in the corner of the bathroom.

14 comments:

Kathryn said...

I've never been able to find a pedometer that is accurate. I think I have bad luck with them.

As for weighing once a day... I'm far worse than that. My scales are near the bedroom door and I can't walk past them without checking!!! I can't move them either because I'm terrified that I'll weigh more if they are moved... I've actually thought about marking their exact position with masking tape on the floor.

I think I'll shut up now, I'm even scaring myself :(

Lee-Anne said...

I'm with you two thirds of the weigh, excuse the pun. Water and steps. I just have to know how far I've moved and a number gives me something to "beat". But I do weigh everyday. For better or worse.

Anne said...

Good you have indentified what you need to improve on. I havde a WW pedometer (new one) and it sems quiet accurate.

I've also learnt to stop weighing daily for exactly the same reasons as you.

Anonymous said...

hey Sue Tried txting u and got worng numbr phoned and left a message hope u got it but if not please ring me at Kingsgate Oreiental Bay leave wellington Wed so would love to catch up Felicity

Kate said...

Great plan!!

I found myself just being so much more aware of moving more when I wore my pedometer, even though they aren't always accurate you get some idea!

Kt said...

i with Kate! i never moved more than when I wore a pedometer! I just need to get a new one!
im a bit the same with water, drink lots at work but not enough during the wekend!

Jules said...

Sounds like a simple yet effective approach. Must comment on how styley your blog is looking. You really are the fasionable one!!

CaramelKitKat said...

Water is a hard one without feeling like you're drowning in it. Have you tried hot water? I used to bag my mates for drinking something so weird, but I am a recent convert.

As for the scales, I have taken the batteries out of mine. Just removes that temptation to quickly jump on them. And they're out of sight.

Have a great week and I hope it all goes according to plan.

michelle said...

I struggle with water too even though it is my favourite drink. As for the PD, you will be amazed how the steps crop up when doing incidental things like walking to machines or between offices. have a good week.

Karen said...

Wow love the entry! You seem in so control of everything and your plan of attack sounds great!

Lucinda said...

I always find that when I 'hit' my water goal, I stop. I should really keep drinking if I am thirsty...it would seem obvious wouldn't it?

Do you have any triathalons etc coming up??

Learning Leaders said...

Hey Sue - I am totally withya hon...trying to get back to basics which means thinking consciously about doing them all the time. I agree that weighing daily does me no favours either.....goes to show the psychological power we have over ourselves. I am going to pick up on your tip of weighing just weekly again and see if that makes a diff for me. Have a great week and good luck with the report writing 8-)

Margaret said...

Great plan Sue. I find that I stop drinking water as soon as I get home too. I tend to reach for the bourbon and d.coke. I think I will need to add in those few extra glasses as well to ensure I am keeping the munchies at bay.

I find that when I wear my pedometre it helps to identify when I need to do something at night because I hadn't moved enough during the day. Can't wait till my new shiny corporate challenge one arrives in the mail.

Hope the shift back to a weekly weigh-in helps keep the discipline going. I still have to own up to doing a once a day pre-shower weight but so far have not found that it impacts me too much on a day to day basis.

This comment is way too long and I am still thinking about Kathryn's masking tape remark and think I need to go and visit her LOL. Hope you have a great week :D

Mary said...

What a great idea/plan Sue. I'm a bit slack with water also so thanks for the tips!