Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Injured. Drat.

Having finally given in to the increasing pain behind my left shoulder-blade, I went to the physio on Friday.

Of course it has nothing to do with my shoulder - I have four vertebrae in my lower neck/upper back which are out of alignment.

Drat. Bugger. Blast.

It has something to do with my posture when I carry things (like bags of rugby gear and my laptop). I carry with my shoulder and neck, using my upper and middle trapezius muscles, instead of my back or lower trapezius. I always like to have a 'name' for these things!

None of this is helped by the fact I always lift and carry with my left arm. This is because my right arm is officially 'weird'. Remind me to show you that scar some time...

So you will see my exercise plan is somewhat saner than usual this week. It's probably about time I had an easier week, anyway. I'm sticking to walking and yoga for most of the week. I'll try the gym on Saturday, but won't do my full workout if things don't feel right. While I'm there I'll get Dale to give me some 'lower trapezius' exercises.

I'm trying to be particularly conscious of my posture, as my 'office-worker slump' is not helping matters.

Lots of walking was always going to be in the plan from next week anyway, when I will start my six week training for a half-marathon walk on 25 June. I was originally toying with the 10km run in this event, but my knees really aren't up to that distance. So, it's the 21km walk for me. I walked 13km last Sunday and felt great afterward.

I've decided my biggest obstacle will be to walk for over three hours and not die of boredom. So I've conned a girlfriend into doing it with me. She is recovering from abdominal surgery, so our aim is completion rather than a certain time.

Of course, an event like this in Wellington in winter holds the likelihood of its own special challenges. Unless we fluke one of those fabulous days when the harbour looks like glass, there's every chance we'll be hammered by a freezing southerly or a howling northerly. In fact if we're really lucky we'll walk the first half into a southerly and then it will change to a northerly for our return trip. With a bit of horizontal rain thrown in for good measure.

Anyway, great to have another event to look forward to. I'm off to the physio.

14 comments:

Suzy said...

Hope you soon recover from your shoulder and back problems. Great that you are doing the half marathon walk. That will be fantastic. Good to be able to do it with a friend too.

mimbles said...

As I read your post I found myself sitting up straighter in my chair :) Hope your back heals quickly!

You make that half-marathon sound so attractive :P ;-) how did you ever manage to persuade your friend to do it with you? LOL

Cinders said...

Hope you get better soon. Good idea to get a walking buddy for the half marathon.

Kate said...

Hope your shoulder is ok again soon! That walk sounds boring indeed, but through the wild and unpredictable weather in, should be fun! :-)

Kt said...

hope you injury improves soon, taking it easy sounds like a good idea. Wow, 3 hrs walking, yup does sound a bit boring though a friend to gossip should spice it up a bit!

Karen said...

Bugger hope your injury gets better real soon.
Yes if I was to do the 1/2 marathon I would be "dragging" a friend with me too as that is a long walk by yourself!
Is that the one that starts and finishes at the Stadium?

Anne said...

I think you need someone with you walking that distance, will make time go a lot quicker and be more interesting.

Bad luck about the shoulder/back problems. From experinece I've caused similar problems by not sitting correctly - easy to do!

Look after yourself:)

Briony said...

I'm sitting up straight now too thank you! Hope your shoulder doesn't give you too much jip this week.
Bri

LOL my word verification started with "jip" hehe

Kellee said...

Hope the physio was able to help you. I've suffered from playing-related back problems for years so I know how much it sucks. Especially when you are so determined to do so much exercise and the pain gets in the way. I love that you're not using it as an excuse to pike on exercise though. I hope you enjoy your 'lighter' exercise week.

LME said...

Hope the back is feeling better, Sue.

Ails said...

Look after that shoulder beautiful Sue - I'm glad you finally bit the bullet and saw someone :) WOW - a half-marathon walk, I'm so impressed!!!!! Glad you've roped someone in to go along with you - it'll definitely help those 3hrs pass. Hope your week is going smoothly, Ails x

Margaret said...

What a bugger. And isn't it amazing that the manifestation of pain is not normally where it starts at all. Having three prolapsed discs that sometimes shift I have a great understanding of where my pain originates. It still fascinates me how the chiro works it all out. I have a sore nose - it's my thyroid working overtime, I have a headache - my kidneys need resetting, my shoulder is usually coming from the pancreas. Luckily with the weight off the pains have receded a lot and I only need to go in for a tune up.

Anyway - back to you (I should really stop hi-jacking comments LOL). I think it is fantastic you are taking a friend on the next big event and to adjust your goals in line with the injuries. A sure way to keep successful. :D

Mary said...

Alright, a good reminder to alternate the way I carry things. Yoga should help with your alignment :-)

Anonymous said...

A few years ago i was hit by a car and injured my back this caused me so much pain it was ruining my life and then i tried one of those mattresses that mould to your body shape and adjust to your weight and i slept great for the first time in months and woke with no pain at all! You should try it!