Sunday, May 07, 2006

Substance abuse

Mark and I went to a 40th birthday party last night. Yes, we do still have friends that young!

We had a lovely time catching up with everyone and I may have drunk a little much champagne.

Somewhere in my drunken musings I came up with the following theory. It may be overly simplistic, but it struck a chord with me.

In the group of 100 or so, there were several people who have substance abuse problems, and have faced them to some degree or other. The man who hasn't had a drink in over seven years. The man who has not only overcome his problems with drugs, but now competes in marathons and Ironman competitions. The man who has stopped betting on the horses and is now trying to kick his replacement addiction to the pokies. The woman who is still taking major pain medication some four years after she broke her leg. The woman who had little or no control over her food consumption for many years.

That would be me.

And the thing that struck me about all of this, apart from the fact I have some wonderful, strong friends?

The difference with these addictions is that I cannot give mine up completely. The absence of alcohol or drugs will not kill them (although it may feel like it will), but without food I will starve to death.

I am not belittling their problems or the enormous struggles they have had. But there is quite a difference here. I need to learn to cope with my problem without being able to banish it completely.

Realising this shows how important the 'mental' side of my lifestyle change is. No matter how much I learn about healthy eating, exercise and portion control, the long-term solution to my particular brand of substance abuse lies in recognising why I overeat and stopping that behaviour.

I still have some internal demons to banish.

11 comments:

Jules said...

I think it also shows what a determined and strong woman you are. How do you think that man would have coped trying to stop being an alcholic if he still had to have a beer a day to live?? Not too well. You are combating your 'disease' - for lack of a better term and you are doing it while still having to partake in it. I think you are such an inspiration.

Briony said...

I agree with Jules, it does show what a strong person you are to be able to conquer your demons and get to where you are today. You've done a great job, but its a never ending battle because, as you say, we still have to eat to live and no matter how far we've come, we still have our bad days. I guess they just get further and further apart.
At least i'm hoping they do!
Have a great week.
Bri

Kate said...

It is a bugger sometimes that we need to eat to live, lol. I read an interesting quote recently that said something about how monotonous and boring eating would be if things didn't taste nice, can you imagine? Lol. I can't really.
The headstuff certainly is the hardest part of this journey. Anyone can lose weight, but keeping it off, and staying healthy physically and mentally in the process is the biggest challenge!

Flea said...

Your self control and will power makes you so much a stronger person. Due to your inspirations I have just completed my first week of a healthier lifestyle. I jumped on the scales today and have lost nothing but I know it's just a start and it will come. I don't feel any different either but I am still proud of myself.
Hope you get rid of those demons quickly, good luck, not that you need it. You've discovered yourself at 40 and that's what count.

Ails said...

OMG you are so close to being a 70s gal! What a fantastic loss on Friday - aren't you a clever little cookie!?

I agree with everyone as well - the fact that you recognise that comfort-eating/overeating is something you need to deal with, despite the necessary daily exposure to food, is the first step to banishing those demons. Maybe you (and a lot of us, including me) may not totally rid yourself of these demons but the strength that you gather through the journey you are on will help you more to not give into them. Hope you have a great week Sue, Ails x

Margaret said...

Well done on the loss Sue. That is fantastic.

Don't know why the water in the gin doesn't count though ;D

Have a great week - you are heading into some deep and interesting thought territory and I will be very interested to see where it takes you.

LME said...

So many people try to do this without dealing with the mental part of it, don't they? You have done such an amazing thing so far, Sue. No doubt but that you will continue to get stronger and stronger, and that you will get a handle on the psychological issues, too.

Anne said...

Interesting post! You've come a long way in fighting those demons.

The discoveries you are constantly finding about yourself as you change your lifestyle are going to ensure that you will succeed:)

Kellee said...

Thanks for such a thought-provoking post. I never really thought about it that way, but now that you've put it in perspective it actually makes me more determined to face and beat the challenges that are food-related. Glad you enjoyed yourself at the party, too.

Mary said...

Gosh, addiction really can be a demon in one's life and seriously, well done for recognising your own behaviour and doing something about it.

Jackwatsan said...

How to cover unemployment, now a days so many industries are coming intheir city,s but unemlpoyment is not reduce, so that reason somany people suurended by bad habbits....how we can save these people, share me a suggestions...
=========
Jackwatsan


Suffering from an addiction. This website has a lot of great resources and treatment centers.

http://www.treatmentcenters.org