Monday, July 24, 2006

Rugby rules my life

I know lots of readers are Aussies and don't give two sh*ts about rugby. Tough luck, you'll just have to skip this one if it bores you!

The All Blacks were playing the Springboks here on Saturday night.

A perfect excuse to start the build-up at noon on Friday - by having lunch with Colin Meads, Ian Kirkpatrick, Buck Shelford, Frank Bunce, Josh Kronfield, Bull Allen, Andy Haden, John Hart and other assorted rugby rockstars. Okay, so there were 500 other people there as well, but I'm sure the ex-ABs were there especially for me!

Having planned not to go back to work, there was no holding me back from the wine. I did manage to hold back during the charity auction though. I don't think Daniel Carter's cute enough to pay $4500 for a pair of his signed boxers!

After the lunch a mob of us moved on to the Cavern Club - and I moved on to the G&Ts. Quite a few of them. Actually 'lots' might be a better adjective. But at least I was home not long after midnight - there were some who were out till after 4am.

A slow start on Saturday morning. Jake took great delight in having to take his mother into town to pick up her car. It's usually the other way around.

His team had a good win on Saturday (finally!) and it was great rugby weather - fine and clear. Damn cold though.

So, out to Petone for an early dinner before the rugby (and a few more G&Ts for good measure), then catch the train into the stadium for the game. Damn bloody cold now.

No more drinking at the stadium. I don't drink beer and their wine is poxy and expensive.

The ABs rock!

8 comments:

Mary said...

Nope, don't give a hoot about footy (only when my brother is playing) but I do give a hoot about you. Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Ang said...

mmmmm it would be worth the $4500 if he was still in them ;)

Karen said...

Sounds like you had an awesome time on Friday night and I wish I had been there!!!
Have a good week!

Ails said...

I don't know the first thing about rugby but it sounds like you have a fantastic time! Have a great week Sue :)

Rachel said...

Don't ya just love G&T's - oh and rugby!

Sounds like you had a fabulous time both Friday (hahaha) and Saturday night.

You are SO lucky to be around famous ex-AB's, I am so jealous and my hubby would have paid you LOTS of money to swap places with you (Rugby freak!).

Anne said...

A fun time! Weren't you even tempted to bid for the shorts:)

Great game and of course a great venue!

Melli said...

Sounds like you had a GREAT time! Excellent! I don't know squat about Rugby - although I have heard of the All Blacks... but I sure do know about team support, and favorite players! For me it's American Football, and baseball! ;)
Glad ya had a good weekend!

The Candid Bandit said...

Hi Sue,

I love rugby (prefer it to aussie rules anyday). My ex husband's sister is the Marketing manager for Rugby Union Australia so we had plenty of interest in our household!

Did I EVER go to town about you meeting Dave Grohl? I tell everyone I know about your encounter. I'm glad you found his just as charming as I have seen.

Now, back to rugby. I had the pleasure of dating Norman Hadley. He played for England in the '91 world cup and Canada in the 95 world cup (I think I got that right?!). All six foot 7 of him was incredible. Something about those big strong rugby players...