Monday, August 28, 2006

Promises

I was doing the blog-troll thing this morning, searching for new ideas on how best to kick myself in the butt.

I have considered looking at other weight management programmes, but when I'm honest with myself, I know that's just another form of procrastination. I have all the tools I need to lose and maintain - I just need to work out how to get my head to agree with me.

While reading about HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) over at Marla's place, I came across this gem, about how she felt the first time she completed her 8 week HIIT programme:

I felt SO empowered and strong; it really focused my efforts and taught me a lot about discipline and motivation. I felt so proud of myself for doing this; nobody was forcing me, there was no obligation to anyone but myself, but I learned to take that obligation seriously - a promise to myself should be treated with the same respect I give a promise made to someone else.

This is spot on. So much of this is about self-respect. I would never let someone else down week after week; why am I doing it to myself?

So, what promises do I want to make to myself? There's no point in promising things that I can easily do. But I can't make my expectations too difficult to reach - that's a sure way to hit the self-destructive spiral.

I also need to consider what my lifestyle is like at the moment. I am traveling out of town every week. I have done this before and know that it becomes easier (less tiring) once you get into the swing of things. But when I used to travel before I was over 130kg. I'd sit in my hotel room at night and eat crap. I have to break the mental association between the two.

So, my big promise is:

September will be a month of change for me. The change will be that each week I will set achievable food and exercise goals, based on what I know is coming up that week. And at the end of each week I will review and report on my progress.

Because Friday is the day I weigh myself, I will set each week's goals that day. With five days to go till the first Friday in September, here's my warm-up plan:

Food:
Take cereal with me to Auckland so I eat good breakfasts. If we have a breakfast meeting, eat in my room first and just have coffee at the meeting. Because I know the muesli at Mink is just loaded with sugar and fat.
I'm out for dinner Tuesday and Wednesday this week. Make choices that fit the NoCount plan, don't feel obliged to finish everything on my plate, don't have dessert. Maximum of two glasses of wine each night, no other alcohol the rest of the week.
No chocolate or other sweets. I ate enough of that shit in the weekend. Have a Jarrah hot choc each evening as a treat - but only if I have stuck to the no sweets rule.
Make sure lunch fits the NoCount plan.

Exercise:
I did nothing this morning, so I only have four days to get going.
Two HIIT sessions. These fit in well with the hotel 'gym' - a large cupboard with a treadmill, a cross trainer and a bike. They are all good quality machines, though, and there is a plasma screen so I can watch MTV or the news.
One high intensity cardio session - either a boxing class or 30 minutes of treadmill running/cross training.
A one hour walk.

Accountability:
Report back on Friday.

13 comments:

Kathryn said...

Wise words indeed - if I did that to a friend, I'd fully expect them to punch me up the side of the head!

Interval training rocks. I always try to do intervals on the treadie - you get a better workout and it keeps away the boredom.

Rachel said...

Sounds like you have your head sorted out...........way to go!
You sound like you have a REALLY busy life and being organised (as you are) will help enormously.

Good luck and have an excellent week.

Eve said...

Hi Sue, I found your blog mmm I can't remember probably via some other blog-link. Anyway I love the way you write and will be back again for a visit soon.

Eve (also from New Zealand)

Melli said...

Sounds GOOD! You can DO this! GOOOO SUE!!!

Anne said...

Hit home how you wrote about never let someone else down week after week but doing it to yourself!

Great plans ahead for your coming week - good luck Sue!!

(Saw your comment on another blog and thought would tell you we are off to see Eric Clapton as well!)

Karen said...

Sounds like a great plan of attack you have there mate! You can do this! Hope to catch up sometime soon for a coffee and chat??? Must get your work email address sometime soon...

Felicity said...

the all inspired Sue you are rocking go September

Suzy said...

It is so much harder when you are away from home, but you have a great plan and you are so close to your goal and September WILL be great for you.

philippa_moore said...

Sue, this sounds like an excellent plan. Things are SO much easier when you plan ahead, even if you don't end up following everything to the letter - it just helps that you've thought it through so when you are confronted with each situation, you can think "well, did I do x?", etc. I found that on my big NZ holiday last year - I didn't follow everything I had planned, but I at least had thought about the food and drink situations and opportunities to exercise, and stuck to what I could, went with the flow, counted and move on for the rest.

You're an incredible woman - I am still so in awe of everything you've done. I can't wait to tell you that in person - one day!

September is going to be your month, I can tell!

xoxox

M@rla said...

I am so honored you found some wisdom on my blog! I stand by those words - getting through that program was really motivating for me.

Sometimes I've found that the more slammed I am in the rest of my life, the better I do with my exercise and eating. I suppose when I'm very focused and driven I don't notice additional burden; it's when I'm bored or restless that I want to eat and lie about.

Kt said...

great plan Sue! i reckon you'll stick to it easy peasy!

Anonymous said...

September is your month now!

You're right about the programmes out there and I think once we realise that it's a tool and we still have to do the work, then we can get on with it.

I think that's why it took me so long to lose weight in the first place. I kept researching and/or trying things for only a day or so, instead of just doing and sticking with a programme for long enough see the results. I've also noticed many people in blogland not really sticking with anything for too long and then blaming the tool for their lack of success. If only they just stuck with it.

I hope you have a great start to your September! :-)

Ails said...

I loved Marla's quote, and thanks for writing about HIIT - that's something I'm coming to have to look into!