Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Why did weightloss work this time?

It's the $64,000 question, really, isn't it?

If I knew exactly why my weightloss has been so successful this time, when it hasn't worked in the past, I would bottle it and sell it. For a whole lot of money. After I gave it to all of you for free, of course.

But, yes, I do have my theories.

Clearly, having a good programme to follow is an essential foundation. But there really has to be more to it than that.

It has something to do with heart. A good programme is nothing without your own motivation and commitment. It doesn't matter how much help you get from other people if you're not helping yourself.

Easy generalisations to make, but what specifically worked for me?

A road not lightly taken
I didn't wake up one day and go 'Right, today I'm going to change my entire life'. This wasn't like choosing a new shade of nail polish. (Got my Christmas nails done today; bright pink with just a smidge of fine silver glitter). Because I took some time to make the change, I was more deeply committed to it.

Using the tools supplied
You have to find and maintain your own motivation, but whatever programme you are using can still help you with that. Most programmes have great suggestions about managing your environment, getting yourself going with exercise and learning to listen to your body AND emotions.

Give it a go
I've mentioned my silly intellectual snobbery before. I always thought things like visualisation were just a bit too much touchy-feely bullshit for me. WRONG! When I first started exercising I really enjoyed picturing how I would feel striding along the road and up and down hills without puffing. I really looked forward to the day I would be able to walk in to Just Jeans and try on a pair of ' normal' sized jeans. Visualisation did help me keep my motivation going.
So, give things like that a go - but give them a good go. Don't just try them once and then discard them. They don't always work first time.

Last chance saloon
I had finally realised I wasn't going to live forever (in fact, at my size, I wasn't even going to live for very long). Losing weight wasn't something I could later. I need to get started on this rather extensive project, or it would literally be too late.


Summary for Tuesday

Breakfast: soy and linseed toast with banana and a smear of the delectable Cato plum and cinnamon jam
Lunch: left over chicken and mushroom from last night with lots of salad leaves added, a yoghurt
Dinner: homemade pizza topped with pizza sauce, cottage cheese and WW grated cheese, salad
Snacks: 4 vitawheat crackers, fresh cherries (for you non-Kiwis, there is no cherry as nice as South Island black cherries, trust me) and some more mini capsicum (for those who asked yesterday, these come from New World - about 10 to a box, about the size of an egg, in assorted colours. So crunchy and sweet, I just munch on them on their own)
Treats: gin and tonic
Exercise: upper body and core resistance, half hour walk

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

those little capsicums are scrummy.

Anonymous said...

Your posts quite often get me thinking about why and how I'm doing the weight loss thing this time around. I guess we all discover things about ourselves along the way.

Sandra said...

Sue
I wish you could bottle what you've got and I'd buy it!
You are so right with what you've said. It breaks my heart that I don't seem to be able to follow your example and the others whose blogs I read. Sometimes I don't understand it because on paper it should be working - I love exercising and, while I have my slow weeks, I also have my full on weeks. I love healthy foods. BUT I just don't seem to be able to give it 100%. I really really want to so I just get so disappointed with myself when I mess up.
You are a beacon of hope - perhaps one day it will just click and start to work.

Anonymous said...

I must look out for the little capsicums, nothing nicer than a crispy red peper & they'd make a great snack! sounds like you are doing great with your tracking & its great to get an insight as to why this time weight loss worked for you.