Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Snack changes

At work, I used to keep a selection of fruit and veges in a bowl on my desk - usually a few days worth. This meant I used to pretty much graze on them throughout the day - more reinforcement of bad eating patterns.

So now I pack my snacks each day. That way I limit my intake and the number of pieces of fruit I take. To make the veges more interesting, I take a little pottle of low-fat yoghurt with some black pepper and coriander in it to use as a dip.

So, instead of grazing, I have morning and afternoon tea, and nothing else.

This week, I've been overcoming my eating urges when I get home from work by having a piece of fruit as soon as I get home - the sugar from that seems to do the trick.

Here I am, almost two years into this and still learning.

16 January summary
Breakfast: oats, apple juice and blueberries
Lunch: turkey salad and a banana
Dinner: Greek lemon chicken and potatoes and some honeydew melon
Snacks: two trim flat whites, yoghurt dip, mini capsicum, tomatoes, strawberries
Exercise: 15 minutes cross trainer, core workout - lat pulldowns, back crunches, oblique bridges (planks), prone bridges and these funny crunch things I do: lie on your back with your legs in the air and knees bent at 90 degrees so your lower legs are parallel to the ground. Lift a medicine ball from the floor behind your head and put it on your upper shins. Lie back down, then crunch up again and take the medicine ball from your legs back to behind your head. That's one rep. Does that make any sense and does anyone have a name for them?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So where do you get the turkey? Do they sell it in the deli's?

I know what you mean about grazing... I have trouble at night time but usually only the week after my monthly so in that week I am trying to find ways to keep my snacking to things that aren't going to cost me points or have a huge breakfast to conteract it.

Love CM

Shauna said...

i think the name for that is HELL!

heheheeeeeeeeeeee.

i really like your yogurt dip idea. and greek lemon chicken sounds bloody beautiful...

Anonymous said...

What about Crunch Ball Reps? I know what you're doing, just don't know what it's called.

M@rla said...

You make a good point about the bad eating patterns - this isn't just about finding foods that are safe to eat all day long, it's also overcoming the urge to eat all day long.

I know those funny crunch things, they are horrible. It's adding insult to injury to expect me to be coordinated whilst exerting.

M@rla said...

And I meant to say, I always called them Ball Exchanges, but this place calls them "medicine ball leg raises."

Mary said...

Good going Sue. I pack my lunch/snacks each day (even when not prepared for me LOL) also because I'll eat it if it's sitting in front of me. Sometimes you can't get rid of bad habits but you can sure avoid them.