Thursday, February 01, 2007

Coffee and other questions...

What is a trim flat white?
Okay, Nancy, a few people have asked me this before. It's a very NZ kind of coffee.

Trim = low fat (or skinny to the Aussies) milk
Flat white = a strong coffee with not much foam on top. Think small cup, two shots of espresso, lightly foamed steamed milk.
In full-blown Starbucks-speak, it would be a 'tall, double-shot, nonfat, light foam latte'. Trim flat white is sooooo much easier to say!
The main point of it - it's strong, good coffee, not just dirty milk.

What is the Couch to 5K?
This one for you Chris. It's basically a nine week training programme for beginner runners, to get you from not really running at all to being able to run five kilometres. It's interval running, alternating walking and jogging, three workouts a week, increasing the amount of jogging each week. You can find it here although there are lots of different versions. I've done a metric version of it (can't get my head around miles), so if you email me I'll send you the spreadsheet.

If you're already running but would like to run harder - or just really burn some fat - try a HIIT programme. That's High Intensity Interval Training and Mar1a has a great explanation of how it works. Essentially this is a run/run faster interval programme. I was doing this programme when I got my knee injury (but it wasn't the running that caused it!) and intend to go back to it after the C25K.

So, did I run this morning?
You bloody bet I did! First workout of the C25K, so I did 8 x 1 minute jogs at 8.5km/h - not exactly fast, but that will come. I'm doing it on the treadmill, as that's the most knee-friendly environment. And it didn't hurt while I was running. And now it's over 12 hours later and it still doesn't hurt. Things are looking up...

1 February summary
Breakfast: rolled oats, apple juice, mango and pineapple
Lunch: oooops - One Red Dog. But managed to not go overboard - 3 pieces of flat bread and pasta with cherry tomatoes, bacon and chili
Dinner: home made margherita pizza
Snacks: two trim flat whites, 2 peaches, 3 vita wheat
Extras: my friend JD with Coke Zero
Exercise: 25 minutes on the treadmill and a core workout

9 comments:

Kate said...

Mmmm, flat white! I love lattes as well if I'm feeling more indulgent. Not in the budget this fortnight though, dammnit!

Just thought I'd let you know I AM making progress through your box of books. I know you said not to worry but I feel so rude, hehe.

Chris H said...

Thanks for that explanation Sue, will give it a go. Great your knee is not playing up, hope it lasts.

Kathryn said...

So, next question - what's a red dog? Is it like a hot dog?

Good luck with the running and the knee.

Cinders said...

Well done on the running. Did u know you can also download the C25km as a podcast off ITunes for free? Let me know if you want more details.

Melli said...

Hi Sue! Thanks for stopping by my blog! You picked a GOOD day for it!

Now, this Couch to 5K sounds very intersting. I am still not even able to do a decent walk -- but my feet ARE getting better about it. The more I stretch them and work them ... they are stubborn though... 49 years of neglect I guess. I would LOVE to be able to run though! I'm going to look into this for when I'm ready! Must be a bit frustrating to you to have to go back down to that -- but you'll be back up to the HIIT before you know it! Good on ya!

Anne said...

Pleased to hear your knee is all ok. Reading your post you really have turned your life around. A couple of years ago I bet you never thuoght you would be running! Well done Sue:)

Jules said...

What a good idea, doing the C25K on the treadmill!! That way you have a good timer/distance keeper. You are still my biggest motivator!!

Margaret said...

Well done on the running. And whooo hooo for the no-pain-knee.
Have another JD for me as I am off it for a month. I will have to read here how good it tastes - just to remind me of course LOL.

Have a great weekend :)

Mary said...

Great going with the running and the knee!