Monday, April 30, 2007

It's all good

Sorry, I know you all must think I've dropped into the depths of despair with Jake's departure, but I just haven't got around to blogging.

The departure wasn't as bad as I expected - the lead-up was much worse! Once we got busy with packing, washing, shopping, etc, I was pretty much fine.

Lots of his mates came to the airport to see him off on Thursday morning. And now that he's gone, well, I just keep thinking what an exciting time they're having.

Jake rang on Saturday from London and we've had an email as well. The flight was hellish - not helped by his hangover! They were overawed by London on their first day, but got their bearings by doing an all-day bus tour the next day. Jake reckons it was like visiting the Monopoly board.

I went to watch his old rugby team play their first game of the season on Saturday. And, of course, while I was there I got roped into managing a team - the 2nd XV this time. I just couldn't bear to see the coach struggling to organise it all himself. And I do like to stay in touch with the boys. So that will help fill my weekends!

My exercise has been rubbish for nearly two weeks, but eating has been okay. I'll weigh in tomorrow on the first of the month, (expecting a gain) and then hit the routines again.

Auckland tomorrow - life is never quiet!

9 comments:

Haole Girl said...

The thinking and worrying before they leave is definitely much harder than seeing them go! Once you both get settled into a routine, time will fly!

Brandi said...

Was hoping you were okay ...

Kathryn said...

So how long before you go take advantage of the free place to stay? I've been begging Andrew to move oseas so i get a cheap holiday but he won't budge.

Jules said...

I'm so glad you are managing that team. It will keep you occupied at the weekends and you will have close contact with his mates and I think it is the best thing for you. You are such a cool Mum, his mates obviously have a great relationship with you. I want my kids to like bringing their mates home. I never really did cos Dad was too anal.

Chris H said...

I did think you were prostrate with grief with Jake leaving....and curled up in a wee ball in da corner...IO'm glad I WAS kinda wrong.I hope u have a ball with the rugby boys and don't try dragging any stragglers home to your house....they have a mummy already I'm sure! lol Chin up chick, I will be thinking of you while I'm away, and you know why.

Rachel said...

Glad you handled the airport farewell, I was thinking of you.

A phone call AND an email WOW, you will more than likely hear from him more now that he is overseas....hahaha

Sandra said...

Yep - London can be a culture shock on day 1. Is he staying in one of the Kiwi/Aussie areas? If so, it'll be home away from home.
I always stayed in the East London and I'm now on the Essex/London border so I almost never meet other Kiwis.
Tell him to get on the 25 bus - you see all the sights from the West End to the City and it's only the cost of a normal busfare.

Rugby season has ended here. I went to see the under 14s Essex Cup final on Saturday. It was a brilliant sunny day and Romford beat Barking. Good luck with your season!

Kate said...

So glad he is having a great time already! That is the thing with kids huh.. if they are happy you can't help but feel happy too.

Jocelyn said...

Here I have been moping about my boy being away for a week at school camp, and you've been facing a much bigger separation.

Glad to hear you are doing OK, and that you survived the airport farewell. And its great that you are getting involved with his rugby team even if he's not playing.

Bye the way Jake's body art was awesome!

Take care