Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Line in the sand

Right, so now I have my starting point. On the scales in my apartment I am 81kg - can't do the decimals like I used to with my other scales, so I'll just have to work with round numbers from now on.

81kg means I have 9kg to lose to reach my goal. I would like to do that before the end of 2007.

Ate well yesterday and went for a walk after work - walking is good at the moment because Craig joins me, which makes it a special part of the day.

I no longer have my flash digital scales, because basically all I have taken from the house is my clothes. I have since picked up a few other things (important stuff like my good knife and some of my beautiful glass), but the rest is still there. It's no problem - just don't have room for all that stuff in a furnished apartment. Mark is quite happy for it to still be there. It's mostly all been moved into Jake's bedroom now, so that's become a bit of a storeroom.

The situation with the house (and therefore our settlement) is very complicated. It goes something like this:
Moved into house January 2005, but didn't pay for it because it wasn't finished and didn't have Code Compliance Certificate.
Paid rent to developer for about a year while we waited for him to complete it
IRD put developer into liquidation for non-payment of tax in February 2006. We stopped paying rent.
Developer's finance company took over responsibility of completing house (and the 6 others in the complex) so they could get their money back.
Finance company put developer into receivership February 2007. We expected them to then finish the houses and go to mortgagee sale so they could get the capital gain for themselves, instead of selling to us at the original contracted price.
July 2007 - finance company went into receivership themselves. That's right folks - our house is owned by Bridgecorp. Bloody hell, could it get any harder?

What we expect to happen is that eventually the receivers will sell the places and we'll lose the house and our deposit. In the meantime, Mark is living there rent-free.

I guess it will all get worked out eventually.

6 comments:

Anne said...

You are right - I don't think it could get any harder than that!! What a mess. I had to read over it a couple of times to get my head around it!!

Zanna said...

Hey three days with the wonderful new man in your life will be excellent anywhere in the world. Enjoy!

Julie's Journey said...

Boy is that complicated. Im sure it will eventually sort itself out but I dont think I'll know who wins. Knowing you (via blogland) you sound back on track and enthusiastic. Half your luck!

Lee-Anne said...

Boy you've really been through the ringer haven't you.

Bloody Bridgecorp.

Hang in there, for better or worse life still goes on. Colin and I lost just about everything when we met. But we've achieved so much since then. Having the love of a good man is one of the richest treasures a woman can have.

Can you email me your work addy. I lost it when my computer got upgraded.

Name: Lynise said...

oh gosh, that situation with the house sounds awlful. I hope you didn't pay too much of a deposit so at least you don't lose anymore then if it had just been rent the whole way along.
A situation like that would stess me out to the max. Hope your at peace with everything as there's nothing worse then stress.

cranky said...

*blank look*

Ok, so I failed year 9 commerce, so there is no way I can understand what you've written - all I know is it sounds like a crap situation!!!!!