Monday, July 23, 2007

The rise and rise of Smaller Sue

Boy has my life changed a lot – not just in the last couple of months, but in the last couple of years!

*insert wavy flashback image here*

On my 40th birthday, I weighed over 130kg. For quite some time before that, I had been moving toward the decision to lose weight. I believe that making this decision slowly made me more committed to it. It wasn’t a rash decision and therefore also wasn’t easily brushed aside once made.

In late March 2005, I started with Weight Watchers. I did the At Home programme, as I know that meetings are not my style. I weighed 132.5kg on my flash new home scales. I was wearing NZ clothes size 24/26 and my BMI was 43. Walking 2km around the block with the dog was an enormous effort for me.

By February 2006 I had lost 46kg and had just completed a triathlon. My size 16 jeans were too big for me.

The following year was just one long plateau really. I briefly touched 76kg on the scales, but spent most of the time in the high 70s and low 80s. But at least I was very fit and healthy. And wearing size 14 jeans!

At the end of April 2007 I was about 78kg. My only child (Jake) had just left home to travel and work in Europe. I had come to the realisation that my partner of 15 years and I had no future together and I had moved out of our house.

And the change didn't end there. There has been more good change, like getting together with Craig. And some not so good change, like barely going to the gym for two months and letting my eating and drinking get very, well, relaxed.

*wavy flashback image brings us back to the present*

So, it’s time for even more change. Or maybe that should be un-change? I need to take back control of my lifestyle. The main points are:
Good portion control
Snacks to be fruit and vegetables only
Reduce alcohol intake
Reduce treats
Get back to regular exercise

Tomorrow, I will weigh myself for the first time since 1 May. I’m guessing the number will sit around 83kg. I will go back to weighing myself every week.

This week, I will follow the NoCount eating plan again. I will not drink alcohol during the week – Friday and Saturday only. And no sweet things at all. I will go for three 45 minute walks and go to the gym once.

I know that I have achieved an awful lot so far. But I really do want to get to 72kg. And I really do want fitness to be part of the rest of my life.

I am a happy woman, and I know I can be even happier.

10 comments:

LBTEPA said...

I think life goes in that sort of cycle- up and down, high and low attention to healthy eating and fitness. It's the whole picture that counts.
Congratulations on your new man :) I met my wonderful current husband two days after I left my awful first husband - there's no right or wrong time :)
BTW the Tour is on SBS from 6 - 6.30pm (highlights) and 10pm- 1am (live) - we haev;t got pay tv either!

CaramelKitKat said...

Despite already knowing this story I do not get sick of hearing it. Seeing all the weight loss and personal development tied up in a neat package shows that a) it can be done in a resonable and timely manner, and b) that to do so requires ongoing attention. Regardless what else has gone on in your life, you have kept on going and that single factor is what I most admire.

I get the idea that you're snacking on carbs? The cheeky buggers get me too. I have taken to having almonds with me, if they're raw the fats are good for you and they're high protein. When I get a craving for salt I smother them in it and happily eat them instead of chips.

Rachel said...

It is amazing how your life has changed and look at what you have achieved in that time (weigh wise), just incredible!

Jake is happy traveling around which means you have raised a happy confident son which you should also be proud of AND you have a new wonderful man in your life.

Enjoy mate.

Chris H said...

Wow you are back then eh? And leaving comments too! Way to go, keep it up cos we are all behing you ya know that! So happy to see ya back mate. And so happy you are with a neat guy and loving life again.

Name: Lynise said...

Hi Sue, I just want to say that I think you are one amazing woman. When I first found your journal (last year) I read back over a ton of your old posts and realised that your starting point had been similar to where I was, and at the time I felt like I was drowning in my weight problem. Your whole journal was nothing short of incrediably motivating to me, and often when I'm out walking I think of you (and Helena) and think how much both of you have achieved and I tell myself I really CAN do it to.
I am really happy for you in your new found love and really admire the way you set goals and stick with them.
Take care

Chris H said...

The book is going great, will be darn sad when I finish it for sure.

Anne said...

This entry just goes to show you've really learnt a lot and changed from the woman you used to be. Although you've sort of had a 'time out' situation for the last couple of months, you haven't gone back to old habits and here you are raring to go again - well done!

Julie's Journey said...

Im so happy you are happy and you sound so committed too! Go for it!

Felicity said...

looks like you got your buzz back great to read your update.
No wine here for a few weeks..the body can't cope with it.

PersistentGirl said...

Sue, I wish you all the best with finding a balance that works for you. I've missed your posts - look forward to hearing how things go in future updates!