Thursday, September 20, 2007

Continuing in yesterday's theme...

NEVER under-estimate the power of positive thinking. Focus on why you can instead of why you can’t, and so many obstacles fall away.

Watch what you are thinking. Be aware of your self-talk. I know this sometimes sounds a bit touchy-feely, but we talk to ourselves all the time.

I don't mean the nutty lady wandering down the street muttering to herself. I mean those thoughts we usually aren’t even aware of. You know the ones – I don’t have enough self-control to eat well, I can’t get fit because I’m not a sporty person, it will never work.

Start listening to yourself. Catch those negative thoughts and push them away. Replace them with positive thoughts – eating well will make me feel good, I’ll find an activity I like and then getting fit will be fun, I can make these changes.

The positive thinking habit can be hard. You might even feel a bit silly doing it – but our thoughts have a powerful influence over our lives.

LBTEPA wrote a great post about this a while back, and it has been going through my head a lot in the last few weeks. I hope you don’t mind me quoting you, but the ‘Act as if’ idea struck a real chord with me:

This week has been such an “Act As If” week – Act As If I’m disciplined, motivated, cheerful, organised. And let me tell you, as strategies go, it’s worked a TREAT. Really. I’m sure the effortlessness will return soon. It WILL.

What this says to me is: when things are a bit too hard, act as if you can do them. Then suddenly they’re habits again and doing them comes naturally.

It’s another form of positive thinking. And it doesn’t just apply to weight loss or getting fit. It applies to all parts of our lives.

11 comments:

Anne said...

If we are looking for motivation - we just have to come along and read your blog!! Negative thoughts are dangerous and just make you head for failure, being positive does work:-) Must go and take a look at that post you mentioned!

Julie's Journey said...

I've discovered this idea lately - whenever that little voice says to me You cant do that and I get scared I ask myself why cant I and try and have found that I usually can. Now having said that I should take my own advice and apply it to my really bad eating habits. Thanks for the wake up calls lately.

Zanna said...

So true - that A'ct as if' philosophy - find that if people ask how you are and you say fantastic (even if you feel like crap), then after a few times you realise that you actually do feel really good. Not saying that I have total command of my thinking but agree absolutely with you that so much of the way we lead and enjoy our lives is governed by our head and our thinking. Thanks for bringing it up to the surface for us so we can all take the opportunity to focus on being positive.
Z xx

LBTEPA said...

glad to have been of help!
Quote away :)

Lee-Anne said...

Oops. I was probably that nutty lady walking down the street talking to herself.

I'm all for positive thinking. For being an optimist. And it's even better when you do it with a smile on your face, cause then you become contagious and before you know it - everyone's smiling.

Apple2Hourglass said...

Fake it til you make it! I completely agree with this. Oh and ARE YOU SITTING DOWN?? I got on the treadmill this morning.
Damn thing kicked my arse but it won't be long before I turn THAT around!!
Thanks for the inspiration.
Bri

Jenny said...

Again so true. This fits with some reading I did recently about this same subject. "I am losing weight" "I am feeling great" "I will get fit and healthy" etc. etc.....LOL

Margaret said...

I am a big believer in the power of positive thought followed by action. It is hard to keep doing it ALL the time, but the more you do it the more the mind and body believes you.

Your automatic positive reactions will come back soon :)

Rachel said...

I totally agree with the 'acts as if' theory. I read on another blog (Christine - Canada) a quote that is also along the same line as what you are talking about and it is: Fake it until you make it.
Pretend you can do it (eat right, exercise etc) until you actually can.

I'm so totally on that ride at the moment and it changes your whole outlook.

Anonymous said...

what you are talking about is exactly what I did the 7 weeks leading up to surgery ... my mind was totally focussed and I kept telling myself ... this is how things are now so just damn well get on with it ... and well bugger me ... it worked ... this journey really is a mind one :)

The Candid Bandit said...

I absolutely do this all the time now. Great post Sue.

I know people who believe this is total mumbo jumbo.

The same people who are living in a downward spiral funnily enough...