Wednesday, October 03, 2007

A few simple steps



There are lots of different theories about how to lose weight and keep it off, lots of plans for being fit and leading a healthy lifestyle. I found a plan that helped me to lose the life-restricting weight I was carrying; what worked for me may not be right for others - we all need to find our own way.

I do think, however, that most plans boil down to a few simple steps. Following these steps might not show a drastic change in your weight and fitness, but will eventually lead to a healthier, sustainable lifestyle.

Water
The massive upsurge in bottled water sales shows how much everyone is buying in to this. It's one of the easiest things to change in your lifestyle - simply DRINK MORE WATER. You don't have to buy it; most of us are lucky enough to live in places where the tap water is fine for drinking.

I make sure I drink two litres a day, with about an extra litre per hour of exercise. It's simple to work out if you're getting enough water - if your pee is dark, you need more; if it's clear you're probably drinking too much and making your kidneys work too hard. Aim for a pale, lemony yellow.

Food
Simple changes here, too, can make such a difference. Less fat, sugar and salt, more whole foods, fibre and lean protein.

As well as the type of food, look at the volume. Whether you eat 3 'large' meals a day or go for the approach of having 5 or 6 small meals, look at how much you are eating. Reducing portion sizes, particularly of protein and high-carb foods, will make an enormous difference.

Exercise
Again, this is simple. Get more of it. If you're not getting any exercise, start doing something. If you're already exercising a bit, increase it - maybe track it for a couple of weeks and then work how how/when to do more. If you're a complete fit-freak and exercising for hours everyday - good on you (but make sure you're doing quality exercise and that you give your body recovery time).


Okay, so you've decided you want to make some changes in your life. How will you do it?

Again, this is different for everyone. You might feel comfortable making all these steps at the same time - I did, and it worked for me. But if the thought of all that change completely freaks you out, try this:
Make a list of the 10 things you'd most like to change (and I would suggest you start with the water thing and have exercise fairly close to the top of the list). Then write a schedule of when you're going to make those changes - maybe one on the first of each month? That way, each change will become a part of your life (a habit) before you move on to the next one.

No matter which approach you take to change, you will be making change for the better.

8 comments:

LBTEPA said...

I try and do that - and if I look at my life compared to two years agao tha changes are enormous, all done one little thing at a time :)

Anne said...

Motivating Sue!! I'm still finding I'm making changes - all for the best as well.

Julie's Journey said...

As usual good advice. My husband chants this mantra "eat less exercise more". Basic but true.

Jenny said...

Well said Sue. It is working for me too. Our old family Dr always said you don't need to buy into all the 'diet' hype......just eat less and move more. It works :)

Anonymous said...

What a great post Sue.

I've been quite bad with my water intake lately so now have a 1.5litre bottle that I fill every day so that I know how much I'm drinking.

"pale, lemony yellow" sounds so pleasant!!

Karen said...

Thanks for yet another motivating post Sue!
Oh by the way - you are looking stunning! And I love the dark hair! Sorry I couldn't stop to chat :) But hopefully we can catch up one day soon.

Jules said...

Great advice as always Miss Sue.

Bottled water is starting to disturb me. Nearly every bottle i buy, no matter what the name of it, ends up being a coca cola amatil bloody product. I don't want to line the bloody pockets of Coke by drinking water!! Greedy barstards!!

Margaret said...

It doesn't matter what fad, what program, what 'miracle' is currently the most popular way of losing weight, it all does come back to these simple steps doesn't it.

I shall make my 10 changes list and post it, and work on them for the rest of the month. And they won't all be directly food, exercise, or weight related as I think a lot of my current problems stem from other areas.

Thanks Sue :)