Monday, October 20, 2008

Motivation Monday

What’s motivating me today? The scales.

I’ve got all this stuff lined up nicely:
I’m exercising well and regularly. I’m being challenged in this area and really enjoying that.
I’m doing my usual no drinking of alcohol in October – and this year I’m extending it until after the duathlon in November. I definitely feel better and can really feel the benefits when I exercise.
I’ve got my head around how I want to approach food – BUT I’M NOT DOING IT CONSISTENTLY.

Today I weigh exactly 100 grams more than I did at the start of August. 83.9kg.

Okay, we all know I’m great at maintaining. But in that time I’ve only strung 2 weeks of losses together. The last 7 weeks have been up and down each week alternately.

Too annoying.

I know the way I want to approach eating is right. But I’m still not getting my head into it properly. I know that it’s not going to be an overnight change. But I would like to see some success to encourage me.

I am definitely not going back to tracking points. It drives me nuts!

But I am going to keep a food diary for a few weeks. What I eat, when and where.

Why?

To better identify my ‘weak’ times – what time of day do I snack when I don’t need to, which days to I have more trouble controlling, which locations cause me more problems – home, away on business or at the caravan? And then I can be more on my guard against them.

One thing I do know – I need to stop letting myself off. It’s this sort of thing:
It’s been a hard two days in Auckland – I deserved some cheese and crackers (and a little piece of brownie) while I wait at the airport to fly home.
Mmmmm, that black pudding, mushrooms and eggs on savoury French toast sound great. We only go out to brunch once a week, so I may as well have it.
If you look hard enough, you can find a reason to let yourself off every day. And there’s your eating shot all to hell.

So, I’m also going to write a few simple rules at the front of my food diary. Like:
Brunch – healthiest option only. If there’s no fruit muesli and yoghurt on the menu, its poached eggs on toast with grilled tomatoes on the side.
Airport lounge – a cup of tea and a piece of fruit in the evening, or cereal and fruit in the morning.
Caravan – Craig can eat cashews. I can’t. Find some rice crackers.

It’s a long process, this learning thing!

5 comments:

Anne said...

You are so right - if we do look hard enough we can find reasons to let ourselves of. I know I tell myself, I've been good - so I deserve this!

I like your simple rules:-)

Cashews? Do you have a thing for them too??

You are right about the learning thing!!!

Marla said...

Ooh, I feel sooooo much better when I don't drink alcohol, but it's hard to keep myself on that path. Going a whole month is difficult, to say the least!

Breakfast/brunch is the meal I have the least emotional attachment to, so that's the one I eat best.

Apple2Hourglass said...

Wow, it's like you can read my mind!

Zanna said...

Like you I'm a good maintainer but find it hard to push that bit harder when I want to lose some - like after I've been on holiday. I still count points but just in my head. And like you I find that no alcohol makes a HUGE difference. Keep on keeping on! Zxx

Kathryn said...

I'm so with you there. The occasional treat is okay, but I keep finding occasions! It's so frustrating losing and gaining the same kilo though.